Dirty Mean Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishOCD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had two platinum gouramis for 4 weeks. Now they look dirty as if algae is growing on their backs (there is no visible algae in the tank and the other fish are "clean"). They are also suddenly fighting nonstop: the slightly smaller one may have two tiny nips in his/her side. Question one: why are they getting "dirty"? Question two: Could they do each other serious harm? (The only good news in this is at least they are coming out of hiding to fight. We haven't seen much of them until today.)

Platinum gourami.....that is the official name? I have never heard of a platinum gourami. I have also never heard of fish having algae growing on them..which doesn't mean it can't happen. My first thought is that it may be related to the fighting, and may not in fact be algae. Fin rot, and other skin diseases can discolor scales. If they have been fighting rough and have caused open wounds, this could be a definite opening for a skin ailment. If the gouramis are 2 males, they can definitly do each other serious harm. Try and redecorate the aquarium creating different territories they can each have to themselves.

Anyone have any other thoughts on the "algae" growth on the gouramis?

*nods and agrees with lmw80*

I too doubt its actually algae; algae usually makes its home on non moving surfaces or at least surfaces which don't move too terribly fast. I also think it may be something else; can you describe it really specifically or get us a good pic?

And yeah, they can actually kill each other, much less do damage, particularly is they are 2 males fighting for territory. How big is the tank?

They've stopped fighting, BTW. I think the girls were just having a "bad day" and have sorted out whatever disagreement they were having. They're in a 29 with 2 dwarf gourami, 6 zebra danios and two small clown loaches.

Now for their dirty "algae" look... They are not showing any signs of disease. This may be a cosmetic problem rather than a health issue. They were ghost white with transparent fins with iridescent turquoise spots 4 weeks ago. Now both have "foreheads" that are yellowing and pale greenish areas appearing on their backbones (that's what looked like the "dirt"). Maybe this is what happens as they age like the blond child who grows up to have dark hair. Or as odd as this seems, could they have gotten sunburned from the daylight flourescents in the tank? Until a few days ago, they prefered to hang just below the lights in the tall plants -- I think I would have burned! Maybe I'll take one of the bulbs out of the hood.

Seeing as how the girls are getting along now and don't appear to be ill, I'll put my concerns aside. I did move a few plants around so they could establish territories out of sight of the other. Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I've been slow to respond -- I've been traveling. My platinum gourami look like the golden one except as the name implies they are pure white (or were). They are also doing what I thought only pink kissing gourami do -- kiss. But there's nothing affectionate about it. I think it's more of a war game. They lock lips in the middle of their territorial battles and shove each other back and forth across the tank. But they don't seem to do any damage to one another.

Back
Top Bottom