Dirty Sand Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can point it up towards the return mine is. I have my wave maker set to I think 3min intervals. I'm at work so can't see. Seems to work the best and not crate chaotic waves in the tank. Now it's patience and water changes. Do you have any top of water as it evaporates between changes you have to top off with fresh rodi water so your return chambers don't get to low. I keep a water jug just for that. Can't be salt water for top off this will send your salt levels to high. And one more thing do you have something to check you salt levels with? A hydrometer

Sounds good. I'll set mine for 3 minutes also. Yes I have top off water that isn't salt water from my LFS. I also have a hydrometer.

I never really know how much water to add for a top off or how often.

Just when the return chambers are low. Like I said I like to keep mine at about halfway to three quarters full. Make sure to post some pics would like to see how things progress. :)

Will do. My phosphate test kit should be here by Friday they said. Hope this things cleans up!

The filter floss is already pretty brown this morning. Do you think I should let it keep collecting stuff or should I replace it?

I didn't read all this but most of it do you have nitrates that will have a lot to do with the alge and I've always been told feed them once every other day never feed them everyday that's to much bio load for any tank

If its really gunked up I would change it. The power head would have stirred up alot is decaying material, the goal is to get it out of the tank. Over time you will be able to replace it less. For the first week or to you will want to keep replacing it, after that you can rinse it in the water dirty water change water and replace every two weeks.

I just checked it earlier before I left for class and it was pretty dirty and brown. I might replace it when I get home from class. Mine looks a little different than yours though. Mine came in a huge bag and is really fluffy like cotton candy almost. So I have a ton to easily replace it out.

And yes I tested for nitrates a few days ago and it was at 0. All I had was some ammonia in the tank.

Hi - no one mentioned this yet, but if you rinse out any filter floss or pads in regular tap water this will kill all the bacteria in them.
This will prevent the eventual creation of nitrates, which is probably the main problem. You'll have to rinse them more, but overall you don't want muck to stay in the filter floss for long.
The increased flow does this too, keeping detrius suspended, sent to your overflow, & out of your tank. So pointing it towards the overflow from the bottom of the tank is actually best.

I use Matrix from Seachem, which removes nitrates through support of the type of bacteria that processes nitrate, aside from the ammonia & nitrite kind. Purigen (also Seachem) also helps, but isn't bacteria based, but rather absorption based, so it "fills up" but can be recharged.

You can add depth to your sand bed (also supports bacteria that processes nitrates), but in a nano, this generally isn't necessary with Matrix & Purigen. It's also a huge hassle with an established tank.

Phosphates are used by algae extremely quickly, so even if you test low (like .25), this isn't necessarily reflective of true levels & you can still have growth.
The best way to remove Phosphate is to vacuum detrius (debris & waste). I tried this with success, but ultimately didn't have the time to do it every other day. So I tried a phosphate songe.
A ton of phosphate sponges are on the market, but I had great success with just a mesh bag of aragonite sand.
I put it in my overflow to let the water run through it & phosphates bonded to the calcium carbonate. Eventually the sand will "fill up" with phosphate. I change it out every couple of months, since my 30 gallon didn't need too much.

Hope my experiences help you.

Thanks for all of the information. I know to rinse stuff out in the used tank water I take out rather than the sink. Thanks for teaching me about the different aspects though. Learn something everyday!

I attached a picture of the floss after maybe 20 hours in my tank. Looks like it has really worked. I have put new floss in there and threw this floss away to help get this crap out of here. The lights are coming on soon so we will see how it looks!

Attachments

• image-1655598662.jpg
    image-1655598662.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 74
Thanks for all of the information. I know to rinse stuff out in the used tank water I take out rather than the sink. Thanks for teaching me about the different aspects though. Learn something everyday!

Not a problem, but I'm saying you should rinse foam or floss out in tap water. Judging from the amount of live rock you have, you really don't need the floss to be a biological filter, only mechanical.
So rinse away in tap water & you'll prevent further nitrate processing & just remove debris.

There's your algae problem slowly coming out of your tank. :) I always thought it was best to use tank water, was afraid that tap water although does kill germs, would introduce some bad stuff. Learn something new everyday I guess.

I know you have a lot of advice here, but im new here and want to get used to doing this :)
Have you checked phosphate levels? Sometimes that can happen if its
Too high. And also turn your lights off earler.

Lights are on less now and I ordered a phosphate test kit that should be here Friday. So I haven't tested them yet.

image-2719977365.jpg

I also sugest using this, Comes with a bag to put it in, Dependent on your filtration you can just place the bag of this stuff right in the filter that should help if phosphate is the problem

Awesome thanks. I will keep that in mind if phosphate is the problem.

Here is an update. I attached pictures of what it looks like now. I think it looks better than what it did and the corals look healthier but there is still some dirty sand but it has only been a few days. The floss is pretty dirty each day so I have been replacing it. I have not done a water change yet, planning on changing 10 gallons this weekend and also picking up a turbo snail. Let me know anything else I should do. I want to add more fish soon!

Attachments

• image-3878438062.jpg
    image-3878438062.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2684651283.jpg
    image-2684651283.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3389596198.jpg
    image-3389596198.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image-2856143217.jpg
    image-2856143217.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image-44053564.jpg
    image-44053564.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 84
Just picked up my phosphate tests that I ordered and also bought "Chemi-pure Elite". I figured it could only help my tank. Let me know.

Attachments

• image-2030946450.jpg
    image-2030946450.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom