Dirty substrate problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtlion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! I just added my first livestock this week to my aquarium (about 5 snails and 6 hermits) and put some algae tabs/dried seaweed to feed them. I noticed that the substrate is pretty dirty from the algea tabs and my few hermits seem to be more interested in the LR than the substrate. I was wondering if adding some more clean up crew to the tank would be a good idea. I was looking to buy a crew for a 30G tank since my 72G in pretty new. Any advice? Thanks everyone for the continued help!

No I do not vacuum the sand as it is very fine and also it is in impossible to reach areas due to the LR bing puttied together. I was going to get those snails melosu but they were out of stock!

Just a note did a full water test of Fri and all levels were fine

Post the results and the experts will analyze and advise as needed to help make sure things are going well.

I just purchased 10 Nassarius online and will be getting them tomorrow! Hopefully that will help, thanks everyone!

You can also add more flow to the tank.

Just get some sand sifting creatures and make sure your tank has good flow, and you shouldn't ever have to clean your sand. There's no good way to do it anyway, because if you try to suck up debri with a gravel siphon you end up sucking up all your sand also.

Nassirius are a good start. A Sand-Sifting Starfish is also good to have.

I am happy with the 10 nassarius that I put in the other day, but I should have got about 20 more! I didn't realized that they were sooo small. I will probably drive 3 hours to That Fish Place and get more instead of ordering from them online to save the $35 shipping charge!

One word of caution on the sand sifting star, they need larger and more mature tanks otherwise they can starve.
I do agree with Buc, they are great, just make sure they will have plenty of gunk to graze.

Last edited:
see if you can get your hands on a yellow headed sleeper goby. I have one of those, and it keeps the sanding looking like new.

never heard of the yellow headed sleeper goby, I will have to look into that. I was going to get a yellow watchman goby eventually, are they similar?

no they are not very similar. the watchman is much smaller, here is a link to the yelowheaded goby YouTube - Yellow headed sleeper goby

It picks up mouthfuls of sand, and then sifts it out of its gills, eating whatever is in the sand. It can grow to about 5". the watchman is much smaller and not very active. You might not see it for days.

The snails and the crabs have proven to be a tankcleaningblessing. But the (orange)spotted goby has impressed me beyond words w/his sand-sifting energy level !!
I have a 100gal which was extreamely neglect by previous owner.But since rebuilding and restocking phase...5 snails...5 crabbs...and 1 goby..(and of course a protien skimmer and pump/filtering system all is well).

I have had a HUGE problem within the last few days of this brown/red stuff showing up on my rock and substrate. I tested the water and it is testing within normal parameters. I have some photos here if you all could take a look and let me know what you think this is. Thanks a bunch!

It looks like the start of cyano...Try redirecting your flow to those spots...on another note, it seems to consume phosphates at an alarming rate, so you may not even get a reading for them....

I will try moving my powerheads down towards the sand, it has gotten about 50% worse since yesterday when I posted the pics. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself but should I put a supplement in the tank to kill the algae? Any suggestions on supplementation if I should go that route? Thanks!

Nope, it's not an algae, but a bacteria...kinda like the beneficial bacteria that converts your ammonia to nitrAtes.....
More frequent PWCs, possibly less feeding and less lighting..

Back
Top Bottom