Disappearing Neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peregrine

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started with 6 neons and now I have 4. I lost one about 3 weeks ago and another just 2 days ago. No bodies recovered. They are just g-o-n-e! 8O

I don't have any fish large enough to eat one. I have:
6-then-5-now-4 Neon Tetras
4 Zebra Danios, small
3 Large Belly Mollies
3 Oto's
4 Wagtail Platies
4 Orange Varitas (same size and shape as platies)
6 Rosarius Tetras
2 white tiny cory cats
1 Tiger Loach
Small snails
55G

I did have an ich issue that I am 90% sure has been beaten. I used medication for 3 days, PWC, then raised the temp and added Aq-salt. No signs of ich, everyone looks healthy and I am bringing the temp back down.

I never had Neons before, and I kind of quite like them. I was considering adding a few more, but not sure I will have a school left to add some too!

Any ideas where they could be going?!? Seen something similar?

Thanks for any ideas!

this happened to me to . i have a variety of teras 12 of the species. but anyways my neon dissaperred and i could not find them anywhere. then i was doing a tank clean so i moved a cave i made from big rocks and there he was in between the rocks. so i suggest looking throughout the ordaments since they are relitivly small.

They are small, and can be picked clean by other tank inhabitants rather quickly. Also, they can slime over and decay fairly rapidly too. I have a 10 gal tank, went away for a vacation, one less neon when I came back. And Neons are the only fish in there. There is a suspicious fuzzy ball of algae in a plant, Hmmm, could be the neon slimed over.

Neons in commerical trde are in-bred alot. They are very proneto diseases, both infection and herditary. So one can look fine, get sick and die withing a few days. And either fall into small niche you cant see, or be devoured by snails withing days. I lost a guppy in one ofmy tanks, withing hours it wasnothing but a writhing mass of pond and malaysian trumpet snails

Thanks everyone! I have been dilligently keeping my eye on the last four. It looks like some of the fins on 2 of them are frayed or nipped? Looks like I am in danger of losing more. Maybe my tiger loach is picking on them? No one else has any sign of damage.

Back
Top Bottom