Discolored koran

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michaelb406

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Koran seems to be a bit dis colored. He has pale blotches on hi, I was told he's going from juvenile to adult but that was about 2 months ago and he doesn't seem to be growing and his top and bottom fins also look chewed up but I watch my tank all the time and no one is bothering him. In the tank there is a Niger trigger, tomini tang and a flame angel. Any ideas?

image-85700411.jpg

image-1600412644.jpg

Attachments

• image-2587707761.jpg
    image-2587707761.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 93
So how long have you had him? How big is your tank? I am not sure about the colour but his fins do look torn. Are any of the tank mates new or any other changes to your setup recently?

I can't really see the discoloration on my phone, but his fins have been nipped at a lot, for sure. I would think the likely culprit is the trigger-they're aggressive. He's probably getting picked on at night if you're not seein it all during the day.

Agreed that something is picking on him, whether you see it happening or not. The Trigger is easily #1 on the suspect list, but Flames can be aggressive too.

I've been following the other post with the Tomini with white patches and see other somewhat recent posts saying there was a blonde Naso, Dogface puffer, cardinals along with the Koran, Niger trigger and Flame Angel and only see that its a 55 tall tank...then a post about getting a 180 in early January. Did you ever get that 180g? Whats the status of that? What happened to the Cardinals, Naso and Dogface? Are they still around?

If these fish are in a 55tall, then a lot of the problems could be revolving around having them in too small a tank and really pushing the stocking. Get them into the 180g and I bet some of the problems disappear.

The Trigger is aggressive and in a tank 1/3 the size it needs. Its probably feeling the whole tank is it's territory. Talk to people that have had triggers and you'll see that is a recipe for disaster. The Koran is in a tank 200 gallons too small. It's gonna be stressed, even without aggressive tank-mates. Stress causes problems and fish in small tanks are stressed. Add semi and aggressive fish to the mix and the potential for problems increases.

Hi Michael

How's your Koran doing? I had an Emperor who had similar issues but it died recently... Would like to know if you managed to solve your problems at all.

I broke mine down to white spot and over crowding but still not entirely sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom