Discus advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyG33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 46G bowfront.. would like to do a Discus tank. What advice does anyone have? Tank mates? Filtration? Substrate? Plants? Drift wood?

I have never had discus, but I know the like a glass bottom or fine sand substrate! Also plants wouldn't be bad ( aunt has discus with plants). Not to sure about the other stuff since I've never had discus, but i don't think drift wood with anything sharp on it would be good.

Sorry for my lack of experience. Goodluck

The best advice I can give you , is to make sure your tank is cycled and your PH doesn't have to be perfect just stable. My two cents.

Do a lot of research and be sure you want to do the work to properly keep discus. They need warm temps of around 82-84 at least, again check this out. Research "plants for a discus tank" and you'll find many you can use BUT depending on the light you use that will determine what plants you can grow so do research on "planted tanks" as well. Discus do much better in planted tanks. Only certain fish like rams, cardinal and rummynose tetras, and sterbai cory cats for example like the warmer temps so research "compatible fish for a discus tank. Substrate should be fine enough to use for plants. Sand or any of the commercial plant substrates. You should do 2 WC's weekly to keep water pristine and do research on a good diet for them. They are messy eaters so be sure to get a good canister filter for the tank.

any advice on how to keep the PH low in the tank? my area has very hard water. I am able to ger RODI water from a local fish store.. but what if that also has high PH.. how can i get it down?

RO/DI water should have a neutral ph. It's the Kh and Gh that you want to monitor as that is what determines if water is soft or hard. A Kh and Gh of 3 or 4 would be very good for Discus. Some commercial plant substrates aim at keeping water softer but you are going to pay for them. They also prefer lower TDS, total dissolved solids, which RO water will provide. Peat can help as can bogwood (not just any driftwood) and Indian Almond leaves all can help soften water but they also release tannins which is what softens the water and many people do not like how they darken/color the water.

Will the color stay forever with out using Chemical filtration? I know that carbon isnt good for Discus, so if he uses carbon to get the color out and then removes the carbon, would the discus be alright?

Will the color stay forever with out using Chemical filtration? I know that carbon isnt good for Discus, so if he uses carbon to get the color out and then removes the carbon, would the discus be alright?

You don't want to remove the tannins as that is what helps soften the water. So if you don't want tannins don't add things that produce them.

Back
Top Bottom