discus eating only blood worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 110 gal planted(mostly anubias) tank with some neon, lemon tetra, rummy nose, diamond tetra, 2 angels and 7 discus(around 4 inches). Temperature is 86 F. I do 50% water change weekly. I had been feeding them with quality flakes, pellets and blood worm. Since last week discuses have stopped eating anything other than blood worms. Now I give them blood worms for three times and they eat like crazy. What can I do now?

Attachments

• picture_146_442.jpg
    picture_146_442.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 180
Discus will often go on hunger strikes. Especially when they find a food that they love isn't offered. Try fasting for a day. It won't harm your fish and when the discus are hungry they will eat what's offered.

I can attest to Brian's advice. I've had my discus get fussy and go on a hunger strike. By nature they love to eat so when thy are hungry enough they eat.

Try beefheart, you want to only feed bloodworm sparingly b/c it can mess up their digestive tract on account that they digest it so sow compared to other foods.

Thank you for the help guys! So one day hunger will correct their eating habit. I have also added a photo of the tank.

Sorry to disagree with the beefheart racialfish. Although it's very high in protein, unless it's been fed when fish are quite young, discus often will not recognize it as food. IME it's something they really have to be trained to eat. It will also cloud and foul the aquarium very quickly. I include shaved frozen spinach in the discus diet. Mine seem to love that.

Great looking tank Murat!

Attachments

• eating_spinach_006_126.jpg
    eating_spinach_006_126.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 173
Thank you! I couldn't do without plants and after I gave a try to discus I loved them. No other fish can match their beauty and behavior.

Getting discus to eat beefheart has been easy in my experience. If they don't like it, try soaking in some garlic extract for awhile. Usually they eat it right up.

Back
Top Bottom