Discus food recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does peat moss need light? I would be having a canister filter and emperor 400 in my tank. I wouldn't know where to put light if they needed it. Also does it need a substrate?

Nope. It's cheap and you can get it in the garden department of a home store. You would get a small amount and put it in a fine fine mesh bag or woman's shoe liners/ pantyhose. Put in on one of the trays of your filter and change it every couple of weeks or so. Maybe once a month. It will tint your water and give it a tea look.

Alright that sounds good. How long would the tint last? If it's stay so can tolerate it, but I would rather have clear water.

Fallout801 said:
Playing with your water is a big process unless you have an RO unit. I would suggest some peat moss in your filter to help lower it. Easiest and cheapest way. Unless you are buying wild caught discus a ph in the 7s should be fine. My hypans are salt queens. I have had queen arabesques in with them as well though they are basically the same fish. They are closer to the 100 dollar mark instead of 200+.

Striking fish. Are they more sensitive than other "plecos" and require the water parameters if the discus?

The tint stays as long as you have peat moss in the tank. It's the acidic tannins leaching out into the water. It's actually said to be very anti bacterial and makes a lot of software fish feel more comfortable. As for the Plecos they can adapt just like discus. If you look at my discus water you could easily keep Malawi fish in the same parameters which means that the Plecos could probably survive as well. You wouldn't be able to salt your tank too much though I'm guessing. Once I get them to breed maybe I will have to adopt one out to a friend to see how it would go???

Wow I can't thank you enough for all this information. You really solved all my questions. If I have anymore I'm going to ask you.

Back
Top Bottom