Discus Ideas!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jesselav1233 said:
I think it was a common pleco to bad cause I really liked him now my friend has him though so I still get to see him. I was lucky I was watching when it happened and I smacked the tank to scare him off otherwise I'm sure he would have killed my discus

Good quick thinking!!!!;)

try liveaquaria.com and drsfostersmith.com/catalog/?sid=0 and < lets u order free catalogs with food, and other fish supplies which you can also get from the site itself...... good luck!

Ok. If u had a 75 gallon tank and u were going to do discus. When the discus mature what tankmates could/should I put in there? Keeping in mind that I will prob upgrade when we move to a 150-180gal tank

Fish4bass8 said:
Ok. If u had a 75 gallon tank and u were going to do discus. When the discus mature what tankmates could/should I put in there? Keeping in mind that I will prob upgrade when we move to a 150-180gal tank

I would add Cory cats, neons, angel fish, dojo loach, but to be honest none of it will matter because you will be fixated on the beautiful discus anyways lol.

Jesselav1233 said:
I would add Cory cats, neons, angel fish, dojo loach, but to be honest none of it will matter because you will be fixated on the beautiful discus anyways lol.

Hahahaha!!!! Lol!!!! How many of each of the fish u just stated can I do in my current 75gallon??

Well prob like 5 Corys, 5-7 discus, 2 angels, 1 dojo loach, 6-10 neons (or cardinals because they do better in higher temps) that will be a pretty big bio load when they're all full grown but if you do frequent large water changes you could manage it. I know a lot of others on here will feel this is overstocked but thats what I would do.

Jesselav1233 said:
Well prob like 5 Corys, 5-7 discus, 2 angels, 1 dojo loach, 6-10 neons (or cardinals because they do better in higher temps) that will be a pretty big bio load when they're all full grown but if you do frequent large water changes you could manage it. I know a lot of others on here will feel this is overstocked but thats what I would do.

Whats the dojo loach for?

Fish4bass8 said:
Whats the dojo loach for?

Dojo loaches prefer cooler waters, they wouldnt last long in a Discus tank - max temp for Dojo is around 27 degrees and can go right down the scale to unheated tanks, plus they get way to crazy to be put along side the discus, sometimes they like to play with the bigger guys which a Discus wouldn't appreciate. One of my favourite fish, but would have your Discus a nervous mess after a while with there craziness.

Borderlesscott said:
Dojo loaches prefer cooler waters, they wouldnt last long in a Discus tank - max temp for Dojo is around 27 degrees and can go right down the scale to unheated tanks, plus they get way to crazy to be put along side the discus, sometimes they like to play with the bigger guys which a Discus wouldn't appreciate. One of my favourite fish, but would have your Discus a nervous mess after a while with there craziness.

Are black kuhli loaches the same as the dojos?

No, Dojo's are different - called weather loaches in the Europe as they can sense weather changes, and often go mental if a storm is coming.

Pic is of my biggest, 12 cm - he is a complete nut case!

Attachments

• image-3596521966.jpg
    image-3596521966.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 85
Borderlesscott said:
No, Dojo's are different - called weather loaches in the Europe as they can sense weather changes, and often go mental if a storm is coming.

Wow!!! That's huge!!! So it's a no for the dojo? And a already got some kuhlis so.......

Borderlesscott said:

That looks nothing like my dojo loach and he seems to get along good with my discus to he's not very big yet though only like 6 inches is it because mine is a golden dojo and yours is something different

And I know the temp is not ideal for him but he's been in there for months and is growing fast I love him and doesn't seem to mind the heat I go as low as I can to 84 for him

Excess heat is known to stress dojo loaches, shorting there lives and leaving them open to illness and parasites. As Dojo's or weather loaches grow they get a bit crazy, mine tries to play with my Rainbow Cichlids with not much luck. As a Discus owner you should know that highly active tank mates are not recommended for them. Dojo loaches and weather Loaches are one and the same, Misgurnus anguillicaudatus.

Yeah I know but I wanted to try it and so far it seems okay to me. I have 2 other tanks he could move to if I ever did see a problem. Sometimes you just get lucky but have a back up plan right lol. Either way I hope you enjoy your discus adventures OP anything you need just let me know if you ever need anything! :) cheers

Jesselav1233 said:

Ok. If I had a 150gal tank could I double all these numbers? I found a nice one on CL but I still have to convince momzy to let me get it

I just can't hold my excitement in!!!! I am ordering my discus tonite!!!! There is 7 assorted discus and the suspense is just killing me!!!!:D;D

Back
Top Bottom