discus in 29 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am pretty sure that discus prefer to be in groups and I would recommend a 55g or bigger.

Discus are a social fish. They can be quite aggressive on their own. A rule of thumb is 10 gals per grown discus. There are also a lot of fish that can't tolerate the conditions that discus need. For example, discus prefer temps between 84-88F. Most fish 78-82F, not all but many. You would be better off with an angelfish as a centerpiece IMO.

Discus do prefer to be in groups, but if you want to keep 1 as a centerpiece I would suggest adding 5-10 Rummynose. They get along with discus fine. They can also handle the same living conditions. Or, you could add a couple of German Blue Rams. I have both those fish with my Discus. :)

if you do get a single discus as a "center peice" for your tank it will probably try to hide in a corner almost all of the time. I have also noticed that they tend to darken their color and do not look as good. To keep discus that are fun and pretty to look at you need a breading pair or a group, clean warm water and good food.

After hearing what you all have to say, maybe i will get an angelfish like zagz said, they are probably easier to take care of also. Thanks for our responses, they really helped.

Kyle

Zagz said:
Discus are a social fish. They can be quite aggressive on their own. A rule of thumb is 10 gals per grown discus. There are also a lot of fish that can't tolerate the conditions that discus need. For example, discus prefer temps between 84-88F. Most fish 78-82F, not all but many. You would be better off with an angelfish as a centerpiece IMO.
I have a pair of Angels as the center around which my 28 Bow front is stocked, very nice...though someday I too would like to give discus a try (when i move out of my apartment and can have a larger tank 75+) :twisted:

I have a 33 gal tank and currently have 5 juvi's in there. The tank does not look crowded and discus are some what happy, even signs of courting. I even plan on adding another one as they dont shoal. My water perfect however I am aware of the potential size of discus and ovbiously will spread them out in a numaber of tanks. They are all together atm so I can trya nd get a breeding pair :).

I know what you mean steven, I have 9 juvy discus in a 75 gal. I am prepared to move them once they get full sized and start pairing up.

Angelfish can be beautiful colors and will enjoy being a centerpiece in a tank. I think they like the attention.

Back
Top Bottom