Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
I don't know how much £22 is in USA dollars but the cheapest discus I can find range from $18 all the way up to $200 lol depending on size and type

£22 english pounds = $34 US dollars but likewise they can go right up to £300 English pounds which is about $475 US dollars but that would get you a proven breeding pair.

The cheaper discus are never really that good, it's true what they say! You get what you pay for.

Guinness said:
£22 english pounds = $34 US dollars but likewise they can go right up to £300 English pounds which is about $475 US dollars but that would get you a proven breeding pair.

The cheaper discus are never really that good, it's true what they say! You get what you pay for.

Yeah so I heard haha all of the ones I purchased so far have been at least $35 each

I'm sure they will. From my experience you won't be able to tell colours or patterns until they are about 4" so you don't have to long to wait. What are you feeding them and how often?

Guinness said:
I'm sure they will. From my experience you won't be able to tell colours or patterns until they are about 4" so you don't have to long to wait. What are you feeding them and how often?

Right now I'm feeding them frozen blood worms about 2-3 times a day depending on my work shift :/ but that's starting to get a little expensive, anything else I could feed them that they won't go through too fast?? My dad said he used to feed his fish tubafex?? But he didn't have discus so I don't know if that'd be ok lol

Give them a good pellet like new life spectrum or omega one. Hikari makes a pellet specifically for discus that is to bring out their colors. I feed mine 3 times a day now, 1 cube of brine shrimp and a pinch of flakes and the hikari discus pellet in the morning, a little bit of omega one in the afternoon, and another cube of brine plus 2 cubes of bloodworms in the evening. Sometimes more bloodworms but only because my discus don't get to eat much before my 3 rope fish swim up and grab a whole chunk for themselves. Lol.

I don't trust tubafix worms I have read a lot about that them being the cause of some disease found in discus. How true it is I don't know but I'm not willing to take the risk. I feed mine bloodworm (frozen) brineshrimp and garlic (frozen) as it keeps there immune system tip top, and I also use tetra prima the best for bringing out the colour in the fish and last but not least tetra discus pro all on a regular basis. Every now and then I will also feed beef hart. I used to feed mine 4-5 times a day when they were small now at 5" I feed 2-3 times a day. If you feed them to to much so they grow to quick it can take a lot out of the fish. A discus grown slowly is a more healthy discus IMO.

Okay so bloodworms are okay but I should mix up their diet right? So look for discus pellets and get some brineshrimp? I don't wanna only use bloodworms but they're going thru em so quickly. Do discus like the freeze dried bloodworms?? And I guess I won't try the tubafix lol wouldn't wanna risk that either lol

i wouldn't go freeze dried. they arent very healthy and im not sure on this part but i think they cause bloat more easily. the pellets dont have to be specifically discus pellets, i feed omega one super color cichlid pellets, hikari cichlid gold, hikari discus red color enhancer, omega one freshwater flakes, and then either sally's or hikari frozen bloodworms/ brine shrimp. i forgot to include some of these in my info earlier haha. i was distracted. i cant find new life spectrum around me but they have a discus formula.

paytertot said:
i wouldn't go freeze dried. they arent very healthy and im not sure on this part but i think they cause bloat more easily. the pellets dont have to be specifically discus pellets, i feed omega one super color cichlid pellets, hikari cichlid gold, hikari discus red color enhancer, omega one freshwater flakes, and then either sally's or hikari frozen bloodworms/ brine shrimp. i forgot to include some of these in my info earlier haha. i was distracted. i cant find new life spectrum around me but they have a discus formula.

Okay awesome, I'll go to my LFS after I leave work today and see what I can pick up :) I think I saw that they have food specifically for discus so I shouldn't have a problem finding something.

Did u ever hear of the liquid you put in the tank thats made for discus? I forget what its called but I think it contains nutrients and stuff like that for them.

paytertot said:
i wouldn't go freeze dried. they arent very healthy and im not sure on this part but i think they cause bloat more easily.

I disagree. Freeze dried black worms and bloodworms(66% protein) are a lot better compare to frozen bloodworms(6% protein). Frozen blood worms are like candy to discus. No nutritional value. Buy loose freeze dried ones and soak it prior to feeding and you won't have problems with discus getting bloated. I feed freeze dried to my discus with no problem at all and growth is noticeable.

Last edited:
I think the biggest concern is parasites. I -heard- that some can survive the freeze drying process. Idk about frozen, the same is probably true there too. So the solution to this problem is to buy a brand that says "parasite free" or something similar. That's why I try to only use hikari bio-pure. Like I said earlier, I sometimes have to use Sally's (San Francisco Bay Brand) but I trust Hikari most for frozen foods. Or freeze dried I suppose, even tho I don't use them. They say right on the package, their foods have a 3 step steriliation process and stuff.

Yea you want to try and vary Their diet as much as you can really. Different foods have different factors, one will be high in protein and another high in nutrients so by mixing them up and using 3-4 different foods your discus get a really healthy well balanced diet. I agree that you can use freeze dried food as long as you soak it first in tank water obviously.

You don't have to buy specific discus food but my theory is if it is made specifically for discus it must be better for them than other foods you could give them. Just my opinion.

K I just bought Hikari discus Bio gold sinking pellets and freeze dried bloodworms... tried feeding both to em (little bit of each) and none of my discus went after them :/ but all my other fish did lol

If your discus have never eaten any other food than bloodworm which is possible then it might take them a while to get onto the new food source. I have never tried freeze dried stuff but my discus eat flakes and pellets like its going out of fashion.

Guinness said:
If your discus have never eaten any other food than bloodworm which is possible then it might take them a while to get onto the new food source. I have never tried freeze dried stuff but my discus eat flakes and pellets like its going out of fashion.

Lol yeah I figured that, they didn't even go after the pellets I bought either so hopefully they'll change there mind lol

Oh they will when they are hungry enough lol. I would use the one food until they start feeding on it, it won't take them long. If you feed bloodworm before they accept the new food they will just hold out for the bloodworm. It worked for me ;-)

Back
Top Bottom