Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you do that, make sure you remove the food later. When I switched foods I just fasted them for a day or two and they ate whatever I put in there. I also fast my fish once a week.

paytertot said:
If you do that, make sure you remove the food later. When I switched foods I just fasted them for a day or two and they ate whatever I put in there. I also fast my fish once a week.

Yeah maybe I should fast them, might make it easier on me. Once they start eating the new food will they ever go back to the frozen bloodworms??

Yea that's a good tip. Yes they will still go back to bloodworm, it's just a case of getting them to accept other foods. Once they have they will happily feed on them all at any time.

Guinness said:
Yea that's a good tip. Yes they will still go back to bloodworm, it's just a case of getting them to accept other foods. Once they have they will happily feed on them all at any time.

Awesome, I'm gonna try n feed em the freeze dried stuff later tonight and see what happens :)

My discus are starting to eat the freeze dried bloodworms :) they also really like the algae wafers I throw in there for my bottom feeders :)

DanS180 said:
My discus are starting to eat the freeze dried bloodworms :) they also really like the algae wafers I throw in there for my bottom feeders :)

Be careful with algae wafers with your discus, I have had to stop mine getting them I had a few discus have some funny turns eating them, started swimming upside down and sideways they would try and right themselves but we're unable to for a day or so. Apparently algae Wafers block them up and causes problems with there swim bladders, can be Fatal. Just a warning from my experience. Mine were ok after a day or so, after they had a big poo lol.

Guinness said:
Be careful with algae wafers with your discus, I have had to stop mine getting them I had a few discus have some funny turns eating them, started swimming upside down and sideways they would try and right themselves but we're unable to for a day or so. Apparently algae Wafers block them up and causes problems with there swim bladders, can be Fatal. Just a warning from my experience. Mine were ok after a day or so, after they had a big poo lol.

Oh wow really?? Okay well I'll make sure I get them to only eat the bloodworms at feeding time.. thanks for the heads up! :)

I've got two discus right now with bloat, so I say just be careful not to feed too much in general, and soak anything that's dry :(

paytertot said:
I've got two discus right now with bloat, so I say just be careful not to feed too much in general, and soak anything that's dry :(

Yeah I've been soaking the bloodworms everytime

DanS180 said:
Yeah I've been soaking the bloodworms everytime

OVER THE MOON!

I got back yesterday morning at 7.am from 2 weeks in Turky. I went straight to my tanks and checked all the fish they are all doing well. My friend who is as keen on fish as me was looking after them while I was away. Last night on closer inspection in my discus tank I discovered my big pigeon blood and my Marlboro red discus have paired up and have laid eggs all up the intake pipe and are guarding them and fanning them.

I'm so happy with my find, I plan on moving the pair to another tank to try and raise the fry but don't think I will be able to move the eggs. I will wait and see what happens with the eggs, they might eat them or they might survive who knows.
I will probably loose the eggs/fry but if I move the pair after they will spawn again and there will be more chance of the eggs/fry surviving.
;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
Can you tell I'm happy lol.

Oh wow that's awesome! Congrats! Hopefully you can grow some fry!! That would be so cool :) I can't tell if mine paired up or not bc all 5 of my discus are always swimming with each other all the time lol

Very happy for you!!! I myself is goint to get myself a 250L tank and start with Discus but for now i need to do more homework as they are very difficalt to keep and they are not cheap :)

Adelio said:
Very happy for you!!! I myself is goint to get myself a 250L tank and start with Discus but for now i need to do more homework as they are very difficalt to keep and they are not cheap :)

+1 for doing your homework :) I know I did for a while before i purchased.. thing is, once you own them and have a few days with them, they're really just like any other fish :) not much of a difference in my opinion as far as care goes :) good luck with what u decide in the near-future!

I agree discus care is a myth! No harder than any other fish to maintain. Just do your water changes and keep an eye on water chemistry and you will be fine.

DanS180 said:
Oh wow that's awesome! Congrats! Hopefully you can grow some fry!! That would be so cool :) I can't tell if mine paired up or not bc all 5 of my discus are always swimming with each other all the time lol

Thanks. Yea I'm so happy lol. Hopefully I can grow some of this batch if not they should spawn again soon and I can have a better go then.

Once they pair up they will always swim and stay together. Just keep an eye on them to see if they start cleaning an area somewhere, once they do that they won't move far away from that spot and soon after they will spawn. Then happy days lol.

Guinness said:
Once they pair up they will always swim and stay together. Just keep an eye on them to see if they start cleaning an area somewhere, once they do that they won't move far away from that spot and soon after they will spawn. Then happy days lol.

Haha well they're all definitely moving around the tank a lot so no pairing just yet.. although my blue pigeon blood and Marlboro seem to always stick together :) so maybe that will turn into something

DanS180 said:
Haha well they're all definitely moving around the tank a lot so no pairing just yet.. although my blue pigeon blood and Marlboro seem to always stick together :) so maybe that will turn into something

Well just keep an eye on them see how they go. I thought I had spotted a breeding pair in my tank before my holiday. Got home and it is a totally different pair that have spawned lol. I guess until it happens you just can't tell.

Guinness said:
Well just keep an eye on them see how they go. I thought I had spotted a breeding pair in my tank before my holiday. Got home and it is a totally different pair that have spawned lol. I guess until it happens you just can't tell.

Haha yeah I suppose so.. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them tho :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom