Discussion about bacteria supplements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost positive Seachem would sell a special Seachem brand RO/DI water by the gallon as long as they could obfuscate their MSDS and make a bunch of fancy claims about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod edit: Created this thread from a pre-existing one found here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/swapping-gravel-for-eco-complete-191035-6.html#post1787434

I didn't know if they saved their filter media or not was just throwing a suggestion out there. And yes it does help cycle a tank and keep fish alive we have ran multiple test in a lab using various bacteria additives and stability was one of the best. At the lfs I worked at we would swap out gravel in fully stocked tanks with ug filters put brand new gravel in. Which means all the bacteria was lost, we added bacteria additives in like stability and never lost a fish. I've seen it work at least a hundred times so I'm sold and have seen lab test so don't tell people it don't work unless you really know all the facts. I know what you are saying as well if the filter wasn't disturbed or dried out than yes the tank should remain cycled.

Re:fine- by fine it was my fault I meant to separate it into two sentences I could see the confusion I was simply agreeing that ec does have bacteria in it. And I was just saying all should be fine assuming he kept the filter bacteria alive. Re:gravel swap and filter bacteria I'm aware of the relationship of what bacteria does what and where it is found. I was making a statement about a lfs I once worked at that utilized ug filters and removing all the gravel. Re: stability- I'm not claiming anything I know, that's the difference between people on this site who went to school and got the degrees and put the time in and the people on here that just are opinionated and stubborn that pass along bad advice or they think cause google says so it must be right. Jeta I've had pleasant talks with you on here and I have pm's from people on here that you know your stuff so I'm not sure why you are taking this so personal. Send me your email and I'll go copy all my reports and studies and trips and photos and lab results heck I'll copy my two ichthyology degrees and send them to you I have nothing to hide trust me. It's gonna take some time to send it all but it's all there I've dedicated my entire 32 years on this planet to fish keeping and the science and hobby of it. I'm on here keeping things realistic not forcing my opinion of products or ways to keep fish I just wanna see good advice passed around. There's more than one way to grandmas house if you know what I mean.

Problem with all the "boosters" is that they still need fish to cycle they are not for the fish less cycle by no means I'd never use a bacterial booster without fish being added with them. I wasn't picking a fight I believe I was the one attacked first by everyone for simply recommending a product that would "help" not solve a problem. Since I've joined this forum I've been attacked several times by the little mafia of people who think they are better than everyone else on here. I've been a lifelong hobbyist and took it a step further and got the schooling as well I never stated I'm better than anyone else. Severum mama said product was a waste of money I simply told her not to say a statement like that if you don't know all the facts pro or con. And it's been down hill from there I don't have to prove myself or credentials to any one I could easily ask jeta or Chem for yours as well since we don't know each other from a hole in the wall. But I trust you guys just by your information and great conversations I've had with you guys since I've joined and would never throw around accusations especially knowing how much time and effort as well as money goes into getting most degrees in science. It takes 10,000 hours to become a master at something and most hobbyist who have kept fish or studied the hobby that long are by all means just as credible as any scientist. My problem Is with all the bad advice given on here and at times I jump in to help but the bad taste everyone has left in my mouth this far makes me want to cancel this site. It's sad really I'm a member on APC and Aquaria central and I've never seen this much of a personal attack on anyone on those sites. I have made some good friends on here already and they keep me coming back so I'm here for them.

Excuse me?
All I said was that the product isn't necessary following a substrate swap in a cycled tank, and the OP could save his money... it would appear that YOU are the one following up with personal attacks. You are not the only one posting on this site that has years of experience in the hobby, nor are you the only one that has worked for a LFS.

The fact is, you do not need a bacteria booster for a substrate swap, given that the tank was previously established (in this case, it was), and that the filter media was saved (in this case, the OP has been a member here for a while and I'd just about guarantee he knew better than to toss that media)- provided you are willing to do some extra water changes and testing. Sorry that offends you so much.

severum mama said:
Excuse me?
All I said was that the product isn't necessary following a substrate swap in a cycled tank, and the OP could save his money... it would appear that YOU are the one following up with personal attacks. You are not the only one posting on this site that has years of experience in the hobby, nor are you the only one that has worked for a LFS.

The fact is, you do not need a bacteria booster for a substrate swap, given that the tank was previously established (in this case, it was), and that the filter media was saved (in this case, the OP has been a member here for a while and I'd just about guarantee he knew better than to toss that media)- provided you are willing to do some extra water changes and testing. Sorry that offends you so much.

{mod edit}I already said I didn't know if he saved his filter media or not and I never accused the op of not knowing what to do. so you are a little outta line here I already apologized if I came off brash no need for your little jabs. I just offered up a product to help the op out if they were worried about the tank, and I now know said product is hit and miss until seachem emails me back with my answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok look, I could care less about the science behind it. If I use a product and have good results then I'm going to suggest it. End of story.

I've used Stability to cycle quite a few tanks and have great results. I have my own method which has worked every time.

Experience counts volumes to me compared to the science behind it.

I think this thread has run its course... at least once.

A word for the wise. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

That said... thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom