divided my tank today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well, i divided my 5.5 today.
but i had to take out the filter. the current was too strong anyway. any thoughts on this (remember its two bettas and a snail)
since my tank was just cycled a few days ago i think that me taking out the filter and adding another fish would cause a mini cycle. i will watch my ammonia etc very close.

manda said:
well, i divided my 5.5 today.
but i had to take out the filter. the current was too strong anyway. any thoughts on this (remember its two bettas and a snail)
since my tank was just cycled a few days ago i think that me taking out the filter and adding another fish would cause a mini cycle. i will watch my ammonia etc very close.

Without a filter you're just looking at more frequent water changes, especially with snails because they can be messy little guys despite their rep for cleaning algae. You can always pick up a cheap filter meant for small tanks at a Wal-Mart or other chain store that should fit in there fine and won't create much of a current. A sponge filter could also work great in there.

Yes, definitely watch that ammonia AND nitrite! I would still get a filter again, even if it's just tiny, but it will keep your water more stabile than without a filter!

i got my filter to fit and put a few pairs of knee highs (soaked in water of course) over it.
i just had to think a bit! i figured it out.
but i do want a sponge filter.
any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom