Diving into my fear of Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Invert list looks good. :) Not too many of anything which is a good thing. lol

And yep, if you don't have algae you will have to feed the crew. Algae sheets or fish food should do . The nassarius snails don't eat algae btw, they eat everything else it seems.

Sand sifters right? I believe they are carnivores aren't they? I could be mistaken though

yeah, those are the ones that stay under the sand but when you feed the tank they emerge out of no where.I love that, it looks so cool. I have probably 50 in my 125g and 20 in my cube. :-D

Just recieved a not so nice comment from someone. here is what it said... "You do not know enough about the SW game to get into it. Sell your tank and walk away now. There is no logical reason someone with such little knowledge of SW can begin a FOWLR tank. It may seem mean, but you just are not ready."....Well I feel very down now and honestly i think im going to drop out of this tank :( I was looking forward but i feel so uninformed and scared about this now. Thank you so much to all of you who encouraged me and gave me advice. I really do feel much more prepared!!! I guess ill have to try another time :(

That is the rudest thing I have ever heard. Like every single person in SW wasn't in your wxact same shoes when they first started.

If you want to try something that requires some skill and a lot of patience and research then keep to it.

I have seen people do some really dumb things and would rather you ask the "dumb" questions so you know better. Never realized some people would take that as a weakness.

SHAME ON WHOEVER WROTE THAT TO YOU.

Me either. I fealt like i was really beginning to get the hang of this. :/ I didn't think my questions where very dumb or anything.

Yea you'll usually get good advice here, but not always. You asked good questions, and you're obviously still researching fish, just like me!

Just start slow and you'll be golden.

Dumb mistakes happen, the reason we fall is so we can get back up again. The bad thing with SW tanks is your mistakes will cost you money, but everything in life has consequences.

So keep doing research on fishes, and let me know what you come up with, cause I'm researching tonight too! And post some pics of the tank!

And you got Carey on your side, and from what I've noticed, if she's on your side everyone at AA is!

You asked the normal first timer questions. I didn't mean "dumb" like you think, I just meant to the writer of the nasty message. Someone who is that full of themselves most likely thinks they know it all so any question is dumb.

Wow that's extremely rude and I applaud you for not posting their name. No one here is perfect and you have to start some where. Continue with the build and Im sure you will love SW and you will learn on your way. On top of that you have plenty of people who will answer your Q's

I'm going to continue to research night and day, but i am going to hold off putting anything in until i feel great about the cycling, putting in inverts, and then controlling parameters. The fish can wait but i want to feel very confident that i can control the parameters so i do not harm anyone in there. Thanks for being so supportive you guys. It was definatley a shock to get a message like that. Really hurt my feelings and i never saw that coming from an AA member. I'm going to chalk it up that maybe they had a bad day. :/ Well i'm back on the studying trail. Thanks again everyone!!

Don't give up! Property are rude I tell ya. A few people said the same thing to me when I started up my tank. Ya know what? You will make mistakes that's just the way it is. Just be sure to learn from them and just try your best and keep learning. Try your best to know everything about the livestock you are keeping. Another good tip I got from someone was to keep a journal of everything you do to the tank. So you can go back and see what you did that could have caused the situation at hand. It has helped me a few times.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was using the search feature and came across this. We've all made mistakes and lost fish, I hope by now you did follow through and take the leap into sw.

Hey everyone long time no see. I did in fact go through with it and have a beautiful and stable reef tank with over $1,500 worth of corals/fish alone that i got for a grand total of $228. You can't beat that.!!! Im going to post pics shortly :)

Back
Top Bottom