DIY Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aquatek is a good entry level system. That's actually inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. But DIY CO2 + Glut dosing will work ( but not as good) for less.

Yeah but instead of getting the adapter and paintball tank, I recommend getting a 5 to 10 lbs cylinder. You'll eat up paintball tanks too fast for a 50g tank. You should probably shop around locally for a place that sells/refills co2 tanks. They sometimes have a trade-in program where you buy/lease a tank and when it's empty, you trade it in for another tank that's filled.

Aside for that regulator, you'll need:
  • Diffuser
  • Tubing
  • Heavy Duty Timer
  • and I recommend getting a Drop Checker (w/ 4dkh reference solution and pH reagent) to monitor if you have enough CO2 in the water column.

Here's an article in AA if you need to read up and learn this stuff:
Beginner's Guide to CO2 Injection in the Planted Tank - Aquarium Advice

Plenty of more sources online and even YouTube videos. :brows:

My gills are burning...
I used a 2x2L DIY CO2 setup for about 9 months in a medium light heavily planted 20g long tank with a Finnex Fugeray and got decent results. However, getting consistent CO2 was not always possible for me especially after I switched to 2x1L bottles to save room in my cabinet. I finally switched over to pressurized and I like it. The plants were ailing and needed it. Using the Aquatek premium regulator with cool touch solenoid and a paintball tank with adapter. DIY may not cut it for a 50g tank.
On the flip side, I also have a lowlight 20g long shrimp tank with plants. I do not add liquid ferts or CO2; only root pellets. The plants are low light (crypts, moss) and do well in there. I have had a few plants with more demanding light requirements and they did not flourish in that tank. Proper plant selection is important. Here is the low light tank:
vGXg1aJ.jpg

I am not sure how much light the current satellite on a 50g puts out (in terms of med, med-high, high).

Yeah but instead of getting the adapter and paintball tank, I recommend getting a 5 to 10 lbs cylinder. You'll eat up paintball tanks too fast for a 50g tank. You should probably shop around locally for a place that sells/refills co2 tanks. They sometimes have a trade-in program where you buy/lease a tank and when it's empty, you trade it in for another tank that's filled.

• Diffuser
  • Tubing
  • Heavy Duty Timer
  • and I recommend getting a Drop Checker (w/ 4dkh reference solution and pH reagent) to monitor if you have enough CO2 in the water column.

Hey would you recommend something like this.

Amazon.com: Milwaukee MC122 pH Controller with Mounting Kit, 0.0 to 14.0 pH, +/-0.2 pH Accuracy: Industrial & Scientific

I was toying with the idea of buying one whenever I have a little extra money to spend. As you can tell this would be my first planted tank also.:)

• Diffuser
  • Tubing
  • Heavy Duty Timer

What's the price for lease?

I tried diy co2 for 8 months with little or no results. I saved for those 8 months and got the green machines own C02 kit and its fab. Probs not worth the effort of diy and yeast etc tbh sorry to dissappoint

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom