DIY filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking into building something similar. How did you attach the bottle to the pump? Also, what type or sponge is that and where did you get it?

AquaticAl said:
I'm looking into building something similar. How did you attach the bottle to the pump? Also, what type or sponge is that and where did you get it?

It was super easy attaching the pump to the, (screw-on) bottle top, using silicone.

The sponge I used on the bottom was coarse sponge media for an aquaclear hob I had. Their sold at yr lfs...I think $3.

ilostnemo said:
While taking out all the ceramic media?

Yeah, just like when I need to rinse out my Eheim canister filter...I put my ceramic media in a bowl, rinse sponge, put back in.

I put my ceramic rings in a mesh bag just for ease of removal when I clean my canister and my HOB. Not that it's really that big of a deal to remove them either way. ;)

Jill said:
I put my ceramic rings in a mesh bag just for ease of removal when I clean my canister and my HOB. Not that it's really that big of a deal to remove them either way. ;)

Good idea. I should start doing that.

I found a old household fountain in my house so I'm gonna just take the pump out of it and try to make one of these filters! I'll post picture if it works

Flipmikeskater3 said:
I found a old household fountain in my house so I'm gonna just take the pump out of it and try to make one of these filters! I'll post picture if it works

Sweet. Don't electrocute yourself. I would be very fearful about submerging a pump that was taken out of a fountain.

Just thought I'd chime in..

Instead of buying filter floss from your lfs, buy a cheap pillow from a cheap shop, stop cover and you have a large bag of floss, just make sure you rinse well before use . !!!!

Also look on YouTube moving bed filters

The cheapest way to make one is using a. Spring water or cola bottle upside down.

Drill wholes around top and bottom rims, fill will cut up straws and drill a whole in the cap To fit air tube. Takes a while for it to work properly but really good at biological filtration. If you require mechanical as well you can simply use 1 inch pipe with an elbow from a DIY store to add sponge.

Use k1 filter media instead of straws for better bang!!! But really cheap and effective. Heres the link

Attachments

• image-1380869459.jpg
    image-1380869459.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 51
Ukdans1k said:
Just thought I'd chime in..

Instead of buying filter floss from your lfs, buy a cheap pillow from a cheap shop, stop cover and you have a large bag of floss, just make sure you rinse well before use . !!!!

Also look on YouTube moving bed filters

The cheapest way to make one is using a. Spring water or cola bottle upside down.

Drill wholes around top and bottom rims, fill will cut up straws and drill a whole in the cap To fit air tube. Takes a while for it to work properly but really good at biological filtration. If you require mechanical as well you can simply use 1 inch pipe with an elbow from a DIY store to add sponge.

Use k1 filter media instead of straws for better bang!!! But really cheap and effective. Heres the link

That's what I'm saying... Whether its "inexpensive" you are after or you just don't want to waste your money on inferior materials, diy is the answer.

I saw those things, and while they were inspiring, I just wanted more than that "trickle" flow provided by the air pump.

The pillow material you are speaking of sounds good, I'm just not familiar enough with it to know whether its safe or not.

I once saw a guy use kitty litter for substrate, in a YouTube video, and that just didn't sound good at all. Haha. Saved money though, depending on how many fish it killed.

I hear that the plastic "drinking water" bottles break down and can be toxic. That can be replaced with so many free or cheap things it doesn't really matter though.

Many people like DIY just so they can say they did it, gives them something to do, and it's in their blood to create and explore possibilities. Cost isn't always the most valuable part behind an idea.

Fallout801 said:
Many people like DIY just so they can say they did it, gives them something to do, and it's in their blood to create and explore possibilities. Cost isn't always the most valuable part behind an idea.

Agreed

Fallout801 said:

Yea, I agree as well. I'm DIY-modding a Lee's Aquarium Gravel Vacuum to make it fit my service sink faucet (it has an odd-sized outer thread) and to add 25' of hose to it. I was planning to DIY the whole vac from scratch, but my family surprised me and purchased the kit for me. I wasn't sure if I was happy or disapointed. I guess I can get the satisfaction of some DIY for the mod at least.

I have been on the lookout for the right materials for a DIY overflow/sump wet-dry filter. I've been champing at the bit for weeks to get started.

I can realy appreciate your DIY filter. I may just do something like that for my 20 gallon community tank. You know, a little tank-safe black (etc) paint on just one side would make it less visible, and you could still just turn it around to inspect the media. Nice job.

Labenator65000 said:
Yea, I agree as well. I'm DIY-modding a Lee's Aquarium Gravel Vacuum to make it fit my service sink faucet (it has an odd-sized outer thread) and to add 25' of hose to it. I was planning to DIY the whole vac from scratch, but my family surprised me and purchased the kit for me. I wasn't sure if I was happy or disapointed. I guess I can get the satisfaction of some DIY for the mod at least.

I have been on the lookout for the right materials for a DIY overflow/sump wet-dry filter. I've been champing at the bit for weeks to get started.

I can realy appreciate your DIY filter. I may just do something like that for my 20 gallon community tank. You know, a little tank-safe black (etc) paint on just one side would make it less visible, and you could still just turn it around to inspect the media. Nice job.

Thanks lab. Yeah, covering it would be nicer. In the beginning I just didn't see the difference. I will definitely go for non-transparent canisters in the future.

I'll definitely measure next time as well. lol

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5582/13300547658411.jpg

Back
Top Bottom