DIY LED too much for moonlight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saratj1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just built a DIY strip for my 47g column tank it has 12x1w leds, 10 actinics, and 2 UV (400-420nm). I have montipora, acropora, goniopora,birdsnest, Maxima clam (3"),frogspawn, a few different zoanthids, a condy nem, mushrooms.
I was wondering if its ok or good to run my led strip 24 hours a day. it makes most of the corals glow when its on at night. During the day I run a 250w metal halide and 4 x t5ho, and can't really tell the leds are on.
I just wondered if this was ok because some of the corals open more for the led light and some stay open nearly 24 hours so it may be a little more powerful than a typical moonlight, but nowhere near bright as the MH so there is still a somewhat day/night cycle.

The fish are really on a natural day/night schedule. They "wake up" around natural sunrise to natural dark. My MH +t5's are on 1130a-10p. So I get maximum viewing time. The fish wake before the MH comes on every morning. around 8-9am and hide/sleep around 8-9pm.

Moonlights aren't like other leds that support coral. They are for our viewing pleasure, though some are thinking it does help simulate real moonlight which helps corals and fish in differnt ways. the important thing to know that they should not be like actinics as you will no longer be simulating moonlight, but daylight and the things in your tank won't be able to sleep. If your LEDs fit this bill, I wouldn't run them 24/7. Without more info on them can't give a 1--% answer.

Back
Top Bottom