DIY Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darknessheir

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have looked into making my own live base rock and maybe some arches or shelves. Has anyone done this and if so what formula do you use for the agrocrete.

I have seen how to make a cave but I really dont know how to make arches or shelves. Or any other cool structures.

Also how to you lighten up the rock so it doesnt weigh a ton. I have heard noodles or salt, also read something about plastic shavings. Any ideas.

Thanks Brice

I've made a bunch of homemade rock. I used mortar cement and oyster shells with some reef sand.
Here are some pictures.
img_978951_0_21fb7c19334af4bca21c18b872ac2fca.jpg

img_978951_1_92b375cf84593111d1f74252f62a115c.jpg

This rock is very porous. The problem that I had was curing the rock. The container was to small. I had it curing for 6 weeks before I realized the container was to small. I put them in a larger container and it cured out in another week and I have them in my tank now. Very porous and colored up with coralline real fast.

link does not work, just wanted some ideas on how to make cool structures

Hmm. The link worked when I posted it. The search must expire after a certain time period.

Go to search.
Click on "advanced search".
Type "live rock" in the keyword field.
Using the dropdown box under the keyword, click "search titles only"
In the "search in forum" window, choose "DIY Project"
Click "search now"

You'll find several threads regarding making DIY rock.

to reduce the weight you can mix in little Styrofoam balls. the white foam that is made up of those tiny little balls. they do that with man made stone veneer and it's surprising to pick up a big piece and almost throw it cause it looked heavier.

hey guys first batch of my rock came out today here is some pics i used 5 cups portland cement and 25 cups oystershell with a little pool filter sand in it. the bottom and a little on the sides are smoth from sand mould but visible part of rock looks great when i rinsed it the water just soacked straight into the rock its not to heavy either i have a arch and a cave drying right now in the mold they will come out tonight at about ten and be rinsed in the morning the arch may end up turning in to just a round rock but we will see :)

Attachments

• 0513090904.jpg
    0513090904.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 353
  • 0513090905.jpg
    0513090905.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 342
thanks roka :) I have another couple pieces in the making right now and i still have tons of matieral left to work with 50 pond bag of cement and 50 pound bag of oyster shell i got both bags for $15 ;)

Will oyster shells buffer the PH as well? Just wondering why those and not crushed coral. I do kinda like the look though. Be watching to see what happens when they go in

Nice rock! I used oyster shells because it ended up alot more porous then crushed coral. DD, be sure to soak that rock in as large a volume of water as you can so the PH comes down faster.
TC

i have them in a 55gal rubbermaid trash barrel with a water pump and air stones
i will keep everyone updated :) the arch and cave should be ready for the water tomorrow :)

ok guys the arch didnt come out to good little heavy maybe i will be able to use it for something my cave didnt look pretty but i altered it some today will have to wait till tommorow when its dry again to see it again the other rocks are still in the rubber maid i did a water change a few min ago in it ph didnt look to high but i am not going to jump the gun i will keep it in there at least a month plus i need to find my other test kit i dont like the dip strips lol i will be keeping anyone intrested updated until this rock has coraline alage growing on it in my tank i will try to make a post a day :) about to add a pictrue

couple more pics sun wasnt working very well with me but all i added to this than the other pics was a small cave on the right side its back in the mold just adding about a extra inch or so in height to it my nephew wated to help rinse them his grandma was in the hot tub cleaning it

Attachments

• 0514091619.jpg
    0514091619.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 0514091619a.jpg
    0514091619a.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 0514091619b.jpg
    0514091619b.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 254
Back
Top Bottom