DIY paint design for BiOrb Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iDream

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey all,

i have a question for you all. my fiancée has, as the title states, a biorb life 8G. she's thinking of spray-painting it for a new look.

she's going to completely tear down the tank and return the fish because she's ready for something new totally. she plans to seal up the hole in the top, because she is NOT (i repeat, NOT!) painting the inside at all, and just painting the outside. since it is acrylic and an aquarium: would normal aquarium safe spray-paint be okay? she is going to paint the outside white(its black now) and do a somewhat floral design on it.

does this sound safe?

anyone else have some other safety suggestions?

is there any other prep needed for the outside?

quick replies, and many at that (helpful ones) would be much appreciated

Alot of people paint their tanks, but most tanks are glass or acrylic. I'm not familiar with this tank, but some plastics can be broken down by the propellant inside spray paint. If it's glass/acrylic, then krylon or krylon fusion will work. Tape up places you want want paint in, and you should be good to go.

You need a preparatory spray on acrylic otherwise the paint will come right off. I think it's solved by using Krylon fusion sealer then paint, then another layer of sealer.

EDIT: Nvm, turns out they make Krylon fusion for plastic now.

with krylon fusion, does it come out flat or glossy? the biorb has a glassy finish, so i was wondering if i needed an extra finishing spray.

I believe there's both. I know for krylon, there's matte/flat, glossy, and something inbetween (I think it stars with a v) There's also super flat/matte, which is in their camouflage line. I'm not sure about fusion though. Did you want it to be glossy in the inside or the outside?

i'm only spraying the outside, spraying the inside makes me nervous. so glossy on the outside, is that what you're asking?

thank you.

Oh wait, are you just painting the trim? I thought you were painting one of the clear sides, like the background in an normal shaped tank :p

BiOrb Fish Tank Store: Bio orb 8 Gallon Aquarium

The first picture I came up with wasn't the right tank I guess.

This was the one I was looking at, and it didn't really make sense

biOrb Life 30s in Chili Red, 8 Gal.

Just tape up the glass to make sure you don't get any paint on it, and let er rip :)

yup, thats what i was planning on. thank you! i was going to seal the opening and cover alllll of the glass/clear acrylic.

also, has anybody used the krylon fusion on a glossy acrylic/plastic?
i just pitched the idea to my mom (i'm still a little baby) and she told me not to "spray-paint anything that cost that much."

when i go to college i'm majoring in design so this was such an exciting idea to me and she just made me super nervous about it. i don't want to ruin my tank, since it is quite pretty (and quite expensive, indeed.)

Find some junk plastic around the house that is similar to the trim on the tank, and test it out. Sorry I can't say anything about what will happen, but I don't know any people that have the biorb err...aside from you two :p

Every walmart should have it. Usually on the pet section side, somewhere in the middle, they'll have 3-4 aisles of spray paints varnishes etc.

okay i just picked up some of the spray paint. i'm gonna try to find something similar but the biorb is so glossy, i'm not sure what to test it on.
since i've read that it's fish safe i'm considering testing it on an inconspicuous spot, maybe the inside bottom of the tank that's covered by gravel (if i can reach there, that is.)
i guess i'll keep everybody posted and upload pictures if i decide to do it, incase anyone else has ideas similar to mine.

EDIT: i just remembered i have one of those mac mouses and it's kind of broken/useless at this point and the finish is similar. i might test it out on that.

if its a glossy plastic scuff it down with a scatch brite pad or steel wool till its dull then wash it down with a mild soap and warm water to remove as much of the dust and oil from the plastic. DO NOT use paint prep to clean it will melt the plastic. give it a realy lite coat 1st (just a dusting of paint) this will help with the next few coats adhear better.its just like painting plastic molding on a car hope it works for you i wana c pics good luck

Back
Top Bottom