Diy Rock Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ukdans1k said:
Ok crazy fish lady, just for you.

Pic one it's what they start as
Pic two is the tools I use
Pic three is the finished product

Ok I don't think the pics uploaded in the right order but in sure you get the gist. Also for this I have split one block into two prices. Then silicon prices together for bigger pieces.

Hope this helps good luck

Where did u get that block and what's it called

Labenator65000 said:
Looks great! You should make custom decor and sell them online.

Thanks a lot lab! It will be a while before I ship anything :) but I'm definitely going to try and build on this experience.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Wow. It's looking great. I like the uneven coloration.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that the color will even-out when it dries. I didn't apply grout to the base of each piece because I did yesterday, just to strengthen it for grouting the rest. So the wet grout is darker than the dry.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I like the uneven coloration.

Here it is dry

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9117/13285295028281.jpg

I got the grout idea from a guy that uses multiple shades and color layers, then he uses a wire brush to scrape away areas, exposing different colors and and shades. I'm not sure that I trust myself on this project though. Maybe ill try it on a smaller one.

That sounds really neat. I have heard of layering different colors on different spots to get color gradients, but never the scraping.

And it's looking great. But, are you doing this on carpet???

TheCrazyFishLady said:
are you doing this on carpet???

Haha. I have carboard under the project. Doesn't seem like its going to be too bad a clean-up. I'll let ya know how it goes. lol

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Oh gosh... I did grouting on my carpet at first. I guess you are a much better person than I am. I got it everywhere!

I have been careful but I really don't know what to expect. It looks good so far. Hopefully I can avoid spilling an entire bowl of mixed grout into the carpet. Haha. This is how you get DIY done in a condo. I don't want to leave the project out on my patio and carrying it in and out is not an option while its curing.

Jmedic25 said:
Boss- looks awesome dude! Do you think its going to sink now?

Thanks j

This thing WILL sink. I have 10lbs of iron grouted to each piece plus... I'm going to set each base into a mold and cast a strong concrete base around the iron. It's going down.

Back
Top Bottom