Diy Rock Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheCrazyFishLady said:
So, you used dry wall for this, correct? I'm wanting to do a background for one of my cages and went yesterday to pick up polystyrene. It was a bit more pricey than I was expecting. So, dry wall is a great alternative?

And went need more pictures!

I wouldn't use dry wall. Have you ever seen that stuff chip. Tons and tons of dust particles.

I wouldn't use dry wall. Have you ever seen that stuff chip. Tons and tons of dust particles.

I could have sworn that's what TankBoss is using to do this. Could be wrong though and I'm too lazy to flip back through and find his material. haha

And TankBoss, it's really coming together. How many more layers of grout?

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I could have sworn that's what TankBoss is using to do this. Could be wrong though and I'm too lazy to flip back through and find his material. haha

And TankBoss, it's really coming together. How many more layers of grout?

I'm using foam board. I did, however, use a drywall saw:)

Thanks. I'm not necessarily doing layers at this point, but just making sure every inch of the pieces has good coverage. There are so many twists and turns its easy to miss spots.

How many more layers of grout?

I finished the one bag of grout and have done one layer out of my second bag.

I'm definitely going to error on the side of "over done" than "under". After the blood, sweat, and tears I would be absolutely devastated if one of them fell apart or took on water, once submerged.

I have been touching-up neglected areas and then just finishing off my bowl. Yesterday I started from the bottom and went up (it almost reached the top but not quite). Today I went top-down.

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/9718/1328667394639.jpg

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Looking great!

And sorry, I saw it wrong or my memory is way too devoted to my classes right now.

Thanks! No worries, I see stuff wrong all of the time:)

Newtofish99 said:
It looks absolutely amazing!! You should open a store or something... LOL

Thanks a lot! I don't think they would be very affordable between the shipping and the cost of my labor. Haha

Once you grow some algae on that thing it will look amazing good freaking job dude! Your DIY skills are beyond reproach.

Jmedic25 said:
Once you grow some algae on that thing it will look amazing good freaking job dude! Your DIY skills are beyond reproach.

Thanks a lot j! I think your're right about the algae growth. About a month away from putting them in my tank!

stone1269 said:
Nice!!! How much did it cost u to do?

Thanks!

Cost around 60 bucks but I might have been able to get away with 1 bag of grout and I bought twice as much foam board as I used (I'll definitely use the other piece for another project)

UPDATE

I submerged both of my "rocks" right now and both took on water. The first was bubbling out of 2 pin holes, on top...and the second was bubbling a little bigger, also on top!

It's really odd that the places that allowed water through were also the easiest surface for me to grout. Seemed like I put plenty on but its also understandable that I could miss areas on such a complex shape.

I'll put a very good coat on tomorrow (or even tonight, after work) and, hopefully, have it back in the water by Friday.

Back
Top Bottom