DIY sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a sump thats been running several years. I am getting a new skimmer next week and when I put it in I will be adding a baffle to keep it in the correct amount of water. I will be adding other baffles for a fuge too. My DT drains to two sides of the sump. One drain on the left of tank and one on the right. Do i need to re-pipe so they are both going into the area with the skimmer? Or can I leave them as they are. One will be in skimmer area, and one in the area with my return pump.

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, but to get the highest efficiency out of you sump, you want the water coming from the DT as far away from the return pump as possible so that your not just pumping the same water that came from the DT right back into it. If its on the opposite side of the sump from the return then the water has gone thru the skimmer and filtered thru the fuge, and had a chance to go thru the baffles to minimize the micro bubbles before returning to the DT

Back
Top Bottom