DIY Sump!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HugoSuarez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

Just a little info about me. First Post. I really hope I'm doing this right. I'm doing it from my iPhone. Lol.

Let me tell you about my tank. Actually my first tank was years ago. It was a ten gallon which as far as I can remember, housed just freshwater fish, no plants. Also, to be more correct, I'm pretty sure it was mostly guppies.

That was pretty successful, but I stopped for several reasons. Eventually, for some reason, I had a renewed sense to start a tank again. And I did. I bought a 29 gallon Aqueon kit. Some of you may be familiar with it. If I knew about craigslist then I probably would've done things differently, though. It was actually a pretty good deal. Anyways, I housed some injured fish from a close friend/neighbor. Didn't buy any fish of my own. Neon and white skirt tetras kept in horrible conditions. Within a week of being in my tank, they all died of ich. Too much stress. :( So I started everything up again, cycled and once again, became a second-hand keeper. I took two fantail goldfish from my nieces who no longer cared. They were in a 1.5 gal and did monthly, 100% wcs! I have no idea how they lived for like 5 months. Anyways, they are in my tank now and have been for the last several months. They are doing very well and are growing.

My dilemma is this. They are still young and I cannot keep them both in the 29 gallon for long. My plan is to obtain a 55, use my 29 for a sump and add two more fantails by the end of the summer. My nieces love visiting "Spot and Goldie" in their "new home." :) I know they would love them to have 2 more "friends," and frankly I would enjoy it as well.

I've done research and I know 55 is pretty good for four adult fantails. But it would be better with the sump, (29, actually probably 10-20 gallons give or take) and the extra filtration of it.

Making the sump is no problem for me, but I still have a few questions. I've done a lot of research. I mean a LOT. A LOT. Too much, if there were ever such a thing. It's okay. I enjoy it. :)

Here are some questions:
- how much biomedia (I plan on using cheap scrubbers over bioballs) should I use? Remember, I plan on using my 29.
- what is the best non-drilled overflow for it?
- what is a good gph for a return pump? (ties in with previous question)
-

Continued... I accidentally pressed send. I'm on an iPhone. Lol.

- Deep sand bend on freshwater goldfish sump/refugium? Thoughts. It's been done before.
- live rock?
- I'm afraid to plant the DT for fear of the goldfish. Thoughts on planting the sump/refugium?

I think that's all. For now. Any other thoughts/comments/questions please post!

Thanks A LOT in advance. I really truly appreciate it. I've been a lurker on this site for a while, and with this project I just had so many questions I needed to register and post them.

You guys all have been very insightful and helpful. Thanks again.

I have never heard anything about a deep sand bed but i think it would be pretty useless if not bad. I think it would be a source for nitrates. No live rock it is for saltwater. A sump is usually for a saltwater aquarium but you can still use it for fresh. I would make a refugium in it and add some duckweed, wisteria, java moss, and other fast growing plants to it. I would put a filter sock or something to keep the duckweed from going in DT. Here are some pics of what it would look like..

Attachments

• image-2196980716.png
    image-2196980716.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 102
  • image-3465728737.jpg
    image-3465728737.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1819060355.jpg
    image-1819060355.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 103
  • image-3341229972.jpg
    image-3341229972.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 105
I would use second one. It is the easiest and better for fresh. One is the overflow box.. IMO I would just go salty if you were to go through the hassle of making a sump. But that costs a lot more.. You will get mts I'm sure you r showing signs already lol.

Thanks Fishfan

About the MTS... I know what you mean. But I don't wanna go salty. To much work me. I've thought about it and verdict is no. At least not anytime soon. ;)

Another reason is because I don't wanna get rid of the fish I have.

Thanks for all the input. About the designs. The one you suggested has two flows of each. I DON'T want four pipes. Too much noise and overkill. It's only gonna be a 55.

And about the plants you suggested, how good are they really for reducing ammo, nitrate, ite? I know they help but are their benefits that great? Or not a huge difference?

HugoSuarez said:
Thanks Fishfan

About the MTS... I know what you mean. But I don't wanna go salty. To much work me. I've thought about it and verdict is no. At least not anytime soon. ;)

Another reason is because I don't wanna get rid of the fish I have.

Thanks for all the input. About the designs. The one you suggested has two flows of each. I DON'T want four pipes. Too much noise and overkill. It's only gonna be a 55.

And about the plants you suggested, how good are they really for reducing ammo, nitrate, ite? I know they help but are their benefits that great? Or not a huge difference?

Haha no problem and the plants I said would help remove metals, nitrates, and other things. The problem with a freshwater sump is just that, it doesn't help that much. I would do it though just for the pros of it if you do it correctly. It keeps the DT full all the time and hides all of the equipment. Cons are noise and loss of the siphon if not drilled. Also may overflow if not done correctly. If you didn't know, you don't need a protein skimmer.

What could I put IN the cafe? Plant-wise. That would not cause problems because of fantails.

HugoSuarez said:
What could I put IN the cafe? Plant-wise. That would not cause problems because of fantails.

I'm not sure where the cafe is and fantail guppies?

HugoSuarez said:
Woah.

I totally meant tank. Not cafe lol. Fantail goldfish.

Haha k you could put anything you want. Just not duckweed you will regret it. Just remember that you need correct lighting and if you are worried that your goldfish will eat it, go with Marino moss balls, anubias, and others . I think the goldies won't eat them

Back
Top Bottom