DIY wet/dry sump idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm not sure this belongs here but here goes.

I'm thinking of getting a pre-drilled 180 gallon tank with overflows. I'd like to build a wet/dry sump filter. I'm thinking of using a 50 gallon rubbermaid container for my sump. I'd then like to take a 10 gallon rubbermaid tote, cut the bottom out and put in eggcrate, make a divider plate for the incoming water that then runs over some floss that sits on some more eggcrate for a media box. I'm gonna put another 10 gallon tote under it to catch the water that runs through the media box. This tote on the bottom should get a lot of the gunk to settle into it and it will act as a divider to the rest of the sump. Since a 180 has 2 overflow boxes with 2 sets of holes drilled in it, I'd like to use a Durso pipe drain in each one and have a return pipe in each one. The Dursos would both be run to the media filter while 2 800+ gph sump pumps return water to both overflows that will have the water directed towards the middle of the tank. I'd like to put a heater in the sump as well as 2 HOT Magnums with the micron filters for flossing. Does this sound like a good idea? Can anyone comment on problems that may arise?

Back
Top Bottom