Diy wet dry trickle filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loach23

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanted to make a trickle filter for a 55 gal tank.. What size tank should I use will a 10 gallon be good enough? Or too small? What size pump should I use? Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Well if it's for a freshwater setup I say anything from 20g-30g.

If it's a saltwater I say 30g-and up. That's what worked for me :)

Right now I'm running 2 marineland emperor 400gph on my 55gal. Should it be better to go canister or the trick
E I hear trickle is more for saltwater

Sumps are very underrated for a FW tank. Think of the sump as a huge HOB filter that doesn't hang on the back of the tank. Look at the flexibility of design and the huge amount of media you can use in a sump. You can also add a refugium to grow food or fry. Look at a 20L. It has an excellent shape for use as a sump.

Ok is a sump the same thing as a wet dry trickle. I don't know what the difference is. Basically I was going to do a drip plate to a bio tower to media sponge to a sump pump back to the tank. And is this necessary since I'm already doing

Since I'm already doing 800 gph with he 2 marineland emperor HOB. Each one is retied for 400 gph

A sump can be a wet-dry filter, but it can be more too. It all depends on your design. Google "Melev's Reef" and look at his sump page. There's tons of information there.

I thought you were looking to replace your HOB filters. Your tank should be perfectly ok with those filters.

Thank I will deff check that out. I was only considering a wet/ dry for the fact that it's a much bigger filter and less maintenance. These hob can get expensive

The best thing I ever did with my Penguin filter was make my own cartridge. I cut some canister filter foam to fit into a Marineland media basket. It kept the water clearer and I only had to clean it once a month instead of every week.

Thanks big Jim I have some leftover blue media pads. Will definitely try that.

Hey big Jim would you know what kind of ballast is used for aquarium lights. Can I just use any ballast for say T12 type or T8 bulbs. I want to make my own light and hood

Back
Top Bottom