Do all ghost knifes do this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike jones

Aquarium Advice Activist
Or is mine just weird

Attachments

• image-2005062407.jpg
    image-2005062407.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 203
Is that it next to the stone? It's looking for a place to hide and feel safe I think.

Mine was laying like that right before he passed. Does he move of you put your hand by him and swim normal.

Well I bought him from my local fish store a few days ago and all he does is lay on the sand and look dead until I touch him and then he ends up in the same place every 20 minutes

Well I bought him from my local fish store a few days ago and all he does is lay on the sand and look dead until I touch him and then he ends up in the same place every 20 minutes

It's likely stressed out and wants a safe place where it can acclimate. And as another pointed out, your water could be off.

Stop reaching in and touching it, that's even more stressful.

Did you research your new fish at all and find out what it needs before you bought it? It would seem not.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Black Ghost Knifefish

QUICK STATS Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Semi-aggressive Water Conditions: 73-80° F, KH 0-10, pH 6.5-7.0 Max. Size: 1' 6" Color Form: Black Diet: Carnivore Origin: South America Family: Apteronotidae
What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here
overview
The Black Ghost Knifefish is a member of the Apteronotidae family and the speckled knifefish group. It is considered a true bony fish. When properly cared for, the Black Ghost Knifefish can reach well over one foot in length. It possesses a weak electrical organ at the caudal peduncles which is used to locate food. It requires a minimum of a 50 gallon tank with excellent filtration. It is generally timid and reclusive, preferring a fine-gravel-bottom aquarium with plenty of roots and rocks for hiding places, as well as subdued to dark lighting. To better appreciate this fish, many hobbyists will purchase a "ghost tube," a clear plastic tube that facilitates viewing during the day. Once accustomed to its surroundings, the Black Ghost Knifefish can become incredibly tame and trusting to the point of being hand-held. It does well with other, larger species of a peaceful nature, but may be aggressive towards those of similar or smaller size.
Carnivorous, the Black Ghost Knifefish will eat all types of live foods including meat, chopped earthworms, as well as frozen and flaked foods.

BGK fish are nocturnal. If you don't have any places to hid that could be it. Get a nice size piece of pvc pipe and put it in there.

I have one, and what yours seems to be doing is perfectly natural. For a fish like the knife fish to lay on its side is the only way it can get some rest, and that is all its doing. It's nothing to worry about at all.

i have 2 african brown knifes and they dont lay on the bottom but do lay on leafs and prop itself up against rocks and decor..but like otheres have said its normal keep an eye on your water levels and get some type hide out that he can hide out...they get adapted to light when the dinner shows but there more active after lights out

Mine does this all the time if your water quality is good and he has some hiding spaces I wouldn't worry I have had mine since he was about 2 inch and he's about 8 inch now and almost 2 years I have had him and he does this quite a lot depending of he is hiding near the bottom or resting on something, he ever lays upside down sometimes lol I have researched this a lot because I freaked out when mine 1st done it but it's just their natural behaviour :)

Back
Top Bottom