Do I dare... get a dwarf gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so excited. :) :) :) I can't want to get one. The QT tank is in perfect condition right now. Cycled. Has plants. Clean. :) Ready for a guest. :)

callisto9 said:
True, but if one of them was sick and they were in the same tank together, wouldn't they both be sick?

The males can get quite aggressive towards each other if u get two. And if you get a male and female they can get aggressive during spawning with other fish. If you really really want two get them :) id try get a male and female though. Maybe if its possible you could quarantine them seperatley

I have two one is a sunset and the other a dwarf blue and they are my two favorite fish, for now I would start with one and go from there. I'm still a beginner so I don't have vast amounts of knowledge about them yet.

I say go for it and get 2 if you like...I agree with your theory if one is sick in that tank seems all would contract it...I would actually rather get them from same tank because if you get another later from a different batch, it just might be the one that is sick and spread it to the 1st one.....imo...If it were me I would get from same tank and do QT all at once...good luck

I'm excited, but nervous. I feel a little better taking them home knowing they can be properly QT for awhile. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the input everyone. I hope I'm not doing something stupid.

callisto9 said:
I'm excited, but nervous. I feel a little better taking them home knowing they can be properly QT for awhile. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the input everyone. I hope I'm not doing something stupid.

Post some pics when you get ypur new babies :) and your puttong them in quarantine so dont stress too much and hopefully they end up being good and healthy

I have had a kissing gourami for about 7 years now, and he's survived me doing everything wrong (almost lost him once during a move).

He's full of personality, is about 6" long, and gets along great with his current tank mates (no other gouramis...I've heard they can be aggressive with each other).

He HATED this bronze shubunkin that he was roomies with for a while. But he is delighted and completely chilled out now in my new 150. Supposedly the kissing gourami can grow to 12". o_O

Saw a 2" one at my lfs the other day which looked like him as a baby :). I told myself keep going just say noooooooo...

Coco1019 said:
Seriously? They're the only fish my husband has requested and I promised we would get them after my tank has finished its "I have a stupid owner that didn't look into cycling and has many guppies" cycle. I don't think I can wait 6 months to get some new fish...

That's just what I've read on here, like I said I bought some after cycling and they were fine til my own errors crashed my cycle.

Oh, you can bet I'll post pics. :) I'll get ONE this weekend. Just one...

If you did get two males, make sure they have their own spaces, a place they can chill out. I have 2 males, they have divided the tank in half and if the other violates territory, they chase each other. They don't really fight anymore, but the first two weeks while they established dominance, there was full on fighting. Thankfully they got through it okay, I think having a hiding spot helped.

I say go for it I have 4 blue dg and I love them they all get on fine all have their own parts of tank to hang out!

I haven't had horrible luck with DGs, not as good as honeys but not horrible. I haven't had a Dg in about 8 years though so who knows how things have changed.

I do suggest the crap out of honeys though. I love em! I have a Sunset in my community tank right now, just a color variation on the honey, and I LOVE him. He's with an angel, 4 platy, some neons and lambchop rasbora. I'm debating moving out a few other fish and adding another 1 or 2

Honeys do have better healthy than DGs and tend to be more peaceful as well. They are 1 of the only gourami that really do have success in keeping them in groups. Even having a couple males in the same tank can be fine as long as there is enough cover to make them feel safe. Mine actually spends a lot of time hanging out with my platys that are the same colors as him. lol.

I did a profile in the plant/fish profile section if you are interested.

My personal experience with neons is over all good. I've had them through a cycling tank well enough as well.

I think something that is often over looked with neons is that they are such a popular fish many stores have troubles keeping them well stocked. I know here in my city they are the highest shipped in fish. They get more shipments of neons than any other fish. Most fish deaths occur after shipments and if a store is getting fresh shipments often and then selling those out without quarantining them it's understandable that many would die shortly after arriving to their new homes.

I always go in and check out the stock. Find out when the shipment came in, if they have been quarantined and go from there. I check out the tank and see how the fish are acting. Are there dead ones? Are some fish weird looking or slow? Then I pass by them and wait. I've found most of my neon deaths are results of recent shipments and the stresses that come with it. Just my personal experience but choosing "older stock" seems to work out pretty good for me so far.

I was interested in the honey gouramis, but the guy at my LFS wouldn't just sell me one, had to sell them as a pair. I don't blame him either, but I didn't want two, as I know aggression can exist when they are in mating mode.

I think I will just get ONE dwarf or flame gourami and see how it goes from there. :)

I just saw a dwarf flame on liveaquaria and it was so pretty!

Well, he/she is home! They don't look as vibrant in PetSmart, but I watched them and picked out the most lively one. He's in the QT tank now, being acclimated.

Is dwarf gourami disease contagious?

Back
Top Bottom