Do I HAVE to have a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True both ways u look at it, ya either pay through the nose to run the standard bulbs or pay through the nose to buy led lights. Either way costs I suppose!

You know you should check craigslist or something for used led fixtures. They last forever so you wouldn't need to worry about that

Underwater gravel filter...work with a power head, I've had a ten gallon hex, and cut it to fit.

That's the way I understand it. The gravel is where the beneficial bacteria that make the filtration work are. The filtration may work without the gravel, but you won't have as much filtration surface.

Very true. Which is why sand or peat is not recommended for undergravel filters.

I'm sorry, that was the original question you posed. My bad. I didn't read the thread very carefully.

You could use sand, just got to keep up with water changes. I've done it before in a 2.5 gallon.

It will not pull the sand through,and theres a filter pad that goes under side of it

Well I'm kinda sketched out about it. I've never used one before, and it just doesn't seem like a good idea for a live sand bed.

It's not. Plus it would be a nitrate factory. Your sand would become the filter for detritus.

Hope u don't mind me jumping in here. There's still much debate on whether under gravel filters work at all. In theory, they should work but in reality they don't live up to the claims. I've read a lot about them when I considered adding 1 to my FW tank. And when u start adding pads between ur substrate and UGF, I think ur asking for trouble. Just my opinion of course

Don't mind at all. I've always doubted the UGF, I really don't see it working for a reef tank.
I'm thinking either going with a power head, or the underwater filter. I need to look at dimensions for the filter, because I know you can get very small power heads and I'd love for equipment to take up as little space as possible.

Don't know what to tell u. I've read that all u need is LR along with water movement. As long as u keep up with PWC, it might b enough. I'll b keeping an eye on this thread in the future. I'd really like to know how it works out if u end up using a PH only

I'm certainly considering it. If its not working out then I'll throw in a filter. Though I'll probably start a build thread here in a few days.

Like I said earlier in the thread, it worked for me in a 2.5 gallon, just have to keep up with water changes, and they work threw a power head so you'll have plenty of circulation...

Just gonna toss my 2 cents in but I have a 4 gallon vase I grow corals in. No filter no power head I just run an air stone down the back and have 3 snails and a hblue leg hermit, about a 5 lb rock and mushrooms, zoas, polyps, and really tiny leathers. Been working for me for 8 months now hot it next to my 10 gallon to share the light from above.

Back
Top Bottom