Do I HAVE to have a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Talk about basics. How cool is that? My son has been looking at setting up a simple nano, just to experiment with. He'll be interested to hear about this bit of info

Wow, Crazy Dave, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of your 4 gallon vase. Sounds like an interesting project.

So about led I have a 29 gallon with marineland led on it and it looks really nice and my corals are growing well. I have continued looking at the led lights and one day I remembered finding some that are clip on the side lights that would be great and the were around $30 a light an since led last forever I think it is well worth it

JEnelson said:
So about led I have a 29 gallon with marineland led on it and it looks really nice and my corals are growing well. I have continued looking at the led lights and one day I remembered finding some that are clip on the side lights that would be great and the were around $30 a light an since led last forever I think it is well worth it

I love LED, but it seems like the cheaper stuff just isn't reef capable. . . And there's no way to tell until your stuff starts going downhill.

Well everything I looked up was made for reefs and more for bigger tank and isolating more light in areas but the reef LEDs on my tank are great and my mushroom have gotten huge and everything look great. Also with that little of a tank the led would help alot with heat I will long online and c if I can find the ones I saw again

Attachments

• image-2328390180.jpg
    image-2328390180.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 67
What does anyone think about the 60 led fixture at the above link? I can't find any reviews or solid info saying it supports corals. And I don't really know how to tell anyways...

Ok.
I'm really getting frustrated at this point because I can't find a clip on lamp that I can use my current light bulb in. I thought it would be a breeze to buy two lights and another bulb and be done.
Every clip on light is, downfacing, if you know what I mean. And my bulbs, I believe, would work better horizontal.
I don't want to spend 50 bucks on a led for it to not be enough.

My LFS has cool ones I wish I knew what they were. Keep looking. Try looking up tank/stand/equipment bundles. My LFS has a bunch of those lined up but you could probAbly buy parts separately. If you don't have one by this weekend I'll look into these at the shop

With my experience in lighting I beilive that L.E.D lighting is extremely nice and offer a vast spectrum of colors for coral color "enhancement" , but I do believe that is all they do - enhance. You will not get coral growth and health out of L.E.D lighting alone. I would focus on what you know works best and find Somthing to fit your custom needs. Now if everyone's done booing me yet I'll blow your mind with this little tidbit. My "vase" reef I discussed previously , is sharing a light from my 10g nano, currently has a metal halide fixture with lunars. Yea I know hence my name crazydave06, and no, no heat issue ��.

Why can't one get coral growth and health out of LED lighting alone?
I think many people do, and the blue led's for reef systems have a 420-460nm wavelength which is optimal for corals.

Not disputing you, just discussing. :)

You can you just need a lot or expensive brighter ones. She's saying the only ones she can find in her price range are too weak

Well the clip on would work. The other one won't because it's a hexagon. :p

Now, it's a marine land acrylic hex, and it does have a black plastic lip that drops down around the top of the aquarium. It also provides the filter and current light housing a place to set. Do y'all think that plastic thing is important? Meaning, can I toss it to use the clip on light, or is it actually supporting the tank.
It's only five gallons...

Is it glued on? It might crack if u rip it off. I would avoid that if necessary

rebelyeller89 said:
No. I've taken it off before, to clean. It slides on and off fairly easily.

You can take it off. I've had that on my 5 gallon as well. Then you can add the clip on LEDs I linked or you can silicone or super glue a small piece of glass or acrylic to the back of the tank towards the top then use the clip on light.

Back
Top Bottom