Do I have too many Oto's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishmutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90g freshwater planted tank with a 10g wet/dry filter underneath. I want a community tank and have stocked the following:

9 Glo-light tetra
8 Green tiger barb
6 Serpae tetra
6 Oto
5 Zebra loaches

I got the Oto's to get rid of some diatomes that were growing rampant all over and to keep my tank algae free. They cleared the diatomes in a few days and I don't really see any algae so I'm wondering if I accidentally got too many. I bought algae wafers but the loaches and barbs eat it before the Oto's have a chance, they just don't compete with the larger fish at feeding time.

I'm wondering if I have too many. Should I cut down to 2-3 Oto's?

No fish have died yet and they all look active and healthy (pats self on back:cool:) but I wanted to ask some experts their opinion.

Thanks as always!

Fishmutt said:
I have a 90g freshwater planted tank with a 10g wet/dry filter underneath. I want a community tank and have stocked the following:

9 Glo-light tetra
8 Green tiger barb
6 Serpae tetra
6 Oto
5 Zebra loaches

I got the Oto's to get rid of some diatomes that were growing rampant all over and to keep my tank algae free. They cleared the diatomes in a few days and I don't really see any algae so I'm wondering if I accidentally got too many. I bought algae wafers but the loaches and barbs eat it before the Oto's have a chance, they just don't compete with the larger fish at feeding time.

I'm wondering if I have too many. Should I cut down to 2-3 Oto's?

No fish have died yet and they all look active and healthy (pats self on back:cool:) but I wanted to ask some experts their opinion.

Thanks as always!

Seems all good to me :) when algae is low, just don't forget to feed

I've 4 in a planted 65g set up 6 months and they never need any extra food than what they can find, they have been in the tank for 3 months. I would say your fine, if it's a new tank you may want to add some algae wafers and veg.

I actually have 18 in a 220g. I actually put softened zucchini slices on clips in various areas of the tank 2x a week and I've seen the oto's eating on them. I hang about 4-5 pieces using those suction cup veggie clips shortly after the lights turn off. If you don't have other algae eaters in the tank you could get away with only hanging one piece. I also have a BN Pleco and 3 Whiptail cats so I always hang plenty. It took awhile for the oto's to finally decide to eat the zucchini but they did finally get the hang of it. To this day my oto's won't touch algae wafers.

Thank you for the helpful responses, it sounds like they should all be OK. I'm going to try the zucchini tonight.

Personally I have 6 otos in a 30g and they all do fine. I'm sure yours do too! I feed mine some zucchini and they love it!

If your worried about the other fish getting the food, try feeding some algae tablets and veggies after lights out. As for the #, you should be fine as stated above.

Tied a zucchini slice to a rock last night and found 2 Oto munching on it this morning. Great advice, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom