Do I loose my cycle if the filter is unplugged for 2 weeks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Henri

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone!
I was on a business trip with my family and grandma was the only one who has been looking after the house. I separated the fish food of my 20G tank to daily meals and told her what she needed to know, turning lights on and off on time, feeding fish, etc.
I left and I didn't think much of maintenance because I did a 70% water change one week earlier and I thought this is gonna be two weeks only, so there shouldn't be a problem.
When we came home, the tank looked fine, although I knew something was missing. I checked everything and I noticed that the filter was unplugged. I asked grandma and she said she didn't touch anything, all she had been doing was feeding the fish daily and turn on and off the lights, which have their own switch and have nothing to do with the filter's plug.
I didn't want to take it farther because it might've been my fault, however, now what is done is done. This is an internal filter, which is pretty much 2" shorter than my whole 20 gallon. Did I loose the whole cycle or not? I hope I don't have to begin everything from the beginning, it took me so much to cycle the tank :(. The fish were fine and have been fed though.
Thanks.

Did you check your parameters? I would just keep a close eye on your numbers over the next week or two- they will tell you if your cycle took a hit. As it was an internal filter and the media stayed wet, hopefully, you wont have any problems. If you do, some extra water changes will help until things stabilize. :)

Did you check your parameters? I would just keep a close eye on your numbers over the next week or two- they will tell you if your cycle took a hit. As it was an internal filter and the media stayed wet, hopefully, you wont have any problems. If you do, some extra water changes will help until things stabilize. :)

This might sound bad, but I don't have a test kit. The Aquaria isn't really developed in my country and the only place where test kits are available to me is the internet, yet the shipping only would cost $25+. I've been trusting my water changes and maintenances so far.
Yes, the filter has been fully submersed so far.
Thanks.

Ok, keep a very close eye on your fish for any strange behavior- they will tell you if something is wrong. I would do some extra water changes anyway just to be on the safe side. :)

Back
Top Bottom