Do i really need a protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank220

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm wondering if I really need a protein skimmer. I hear a lot of people use them and that they work really well and get all kinds of crap out of the water and stuff. But I only have a 10g tank and all I'm going to have in there is some live rock and a mantis shrimp. About three inches of sand substrate and I have an HOB filter rated for 100 gallons an hour, along with a 100 watt heater. I currently have a damsel fish in there but as soon as I get the shrimp is there, the damsel is just food. So do I really need a skimmer? I can't imagine that one animal could produce enough waste throughout the whole tank to need one. Advice, tips? Thanks

Mantis shrimps are very hardy. You will just have to do more frequent water changes thats all. Inverts put out a very low bioload/waste. My 30 gallon was suppose to be for a mantis but i got tired of staring at my friends mantis tank. They always hide. My other friend has a zebra mantis which is a spearer. He burrows and lives under a 6ft sand bed. Just him and sand lol

Haha ok thanks. That's what I thought but I just wanted to get an opinion from someone more experience than me. And a 6ft sand bed? That's huge, mines only about three to four inches

Only reason he has a 6 is because his shrimp is a burrower. What type of mantis are you going to get? Peacock are smashers and the most popular. Fun to watch

I'm getting a zebra mantis. It's a spearer. I'm going to put it in my tank today. This is a pic of it eating a goldfish

Attachments

• image-459737049.jpg
    image-459737049.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 98
Finally got it into my tank. Just fed it a pregnant guppy and the shrimp started spitting out live guppy babies. Now there are like five live guppies swimming around. I'm surprised they're still alive after 15 minutes

Attachments

• image-2165971409.jpg
    image-2165971409.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3919506098.jpg
    image-3919506098.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 116
Back
Top Bottom