Do Nitrates harm fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Yes, they do if in high enough concentrations. Anything over 20-40ppm starts to become toxic.

Thanks but what happens to the fish and how can I lower the nitrates in my tank I have done 2 large water changes and barely any difference

fishyperson3010 said:
Thanks but what happens to the fish and how can I lower the nitrates in my tank I have done 2 large water changes and barely any difference

The can get sick basically. They are more prone to disease because the high nitrates put stress on them lowing there immune system.
What are your nitrates? They could be off the chart meaning more then one large water change will be needed to bring them into the readable range.

Bigger water changes, i.e. 50% or bigger

Feed less or less often

Make sure you're not overstocked

are you mixing the second nitrate bottle really well? Sometimes you need to literally bang it against something to ensure it is mixed properly, otherwise you results will be skewed

Talvari said:
are you mixing the second nitrate bottle really well? Sometimes you need to literally bang it against something to ensure it is mixed properly, otherwise you results will be skewed

Agree, follow closely the directions in the box, if not the results are inaccurate.

Well, your options are to add alot of fast-growing plants to absorb nitrates & to stay on top of your water changes to keep the nitrates as low as your tap level. Water conditioners such as Prime or Amquel Plus help to detox nitrates as well. There are nitrate-absorbing filter media but i dont know if they are actually work as claimed or not. A third option would be to cut your tap with RO water or get an under-sink RO/DI filtration system but this is also the most expensive option.

Back
Top Bottom