Do spraybars cause Diatom growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket2001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm not sure if this is purely coinicedental but I run a spraybar on my 29 gal tank...and after my cycle i had a problem with diatoms until i got some otos and they cleaned it up..I noticed that the diatoms were just growing in the area of the tank that the spraybar covered...outside that area no diatoms, I just thought it was that way because that happened to be where my decorations were and they were higher than the bottom of the tank so the diatoms grew there. Now I've ben running my second tank and just converted the filter to a spraybar. And sure enough I have diatoms growing on the decorations. (You may see pictures of both tanks at My Gallery)

It could be just a coincidence because the first tank I cycled from scratch and the second was moved with seeded media and water and it was about the same leghth of time that I set up the tanks that i started to see diatoms in both tank.
But my question is...does using a spraybar increase gas exchange to the point of provide favorable conditions for Diatom growth or was my second tank going through a mini cycle because of the move and I just happen to put in the spraybar at the time of a diatom bloom

Back
Top Bottom