Does anyone know of any freshwater eels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MineShaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just wondering if anyone knew of any true freshwater eels fire eels peacock eels and tire track eels don't count because there not real eels does anyone know of actual freshwater eels please help?

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anguillidae

I went to this website called Google and typed in "freshwater eel".

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I tried too ? but I kept seeing mud morays which are salt water eels fire eels peacock eels and tire track eels which are actually fish so sorry for asking a question. why do you have to be rude.

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

Gymnothorax polyuranodon

Jesse

Don't remember if it was polyuranodan but some species of Gymnothorax are in fact brackish, like many brackish fish they can drift into freshwater or even saltwater but that is not their permanent home. They were caught in freshwater so the fishermen assumed "it must be freshwater!"

http://www.tropicalfishsite.com/freshwater-moray-eel-gymnothorax-tile/

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwmorayeels.htm

Sorry Jesse but I did read quite a bit on these at one point :)

I have a ropefish, which is a cousin of of the Bichir family. My mother calls it a snake! And they are full freshwater.

Caleb

The only true eels belong to the order Anguilliformes. The genus Anguilla are the eels that will partially inhabit freshwater. To the best of my knowledge, all of them go into saltwater to breed and I do not know of any that are well suited to a home aquarium long term.

American eels live their whole life in freshwater except for migrating in from the sea after hatching, and then going out to sea to spawn- after which they die. In fact, juveniles in their "glass eel" or "elver" stage are a huge industry here in Maine. I've talked to some people who would know (researchers here at the U, park rangers, etc) and they've suggested you could possibly (theoretically) keep one in freshwater long-term since they live at least 3 years in freshwater and often upwards of 20. A park ranger from my home town in Connecticut actually had one in a huge tank at the ranger station with some other native fish for at least 10 years, after he rescued it from a drained pond.

On the other hand, the American eel was recently listed as endangered by the IUCN, partly due to the elver industry here where the juveniles are netted up as they migrate upriver. It's not sustainable at all (these eels will never get the chance to spawn) but the elvers are worth literally thousands of dollars per pound so people will catch them, whether or not it's legal or sustainable. So I implore you not to keep one of these eels as they are endangered and there is no way to spawn them in the home aquarium.

American eels live their whole life in freshwater except for migrating in from the sea after hatching, and then going out to sea to spawn- after which they die. In fact, juveniles in their "glass eel" or "elver" stage are a huge industry here in Maine. I've talked to some people who would know (researchers here at the U, park rangers, etc) and they've suggested you could possibly (theoretically) keep one in freshwater long-term since they live at least 3 years in freshwater and often upwards of 20. A park ranger from my home town in Connecticut actually had one in a huge tank at the ranger station with some other native fish for at least 10 years, after he rescued it from a drained pond.

On the other hand, the American eel was recently listed as endangered by the IUCN, partly due to the elver industry here where the juveniles are netted up as they migrate upriver. It's not sustainable at all (these eels will never get the chance to spawn) but the elvers are worth literally thousands of dollars per pound so people will catch them, whether or not it's legal or sustainable. So I implore you not to keep one of these eels as they are endangered and there is no way to spawn them in the home aquarium.

In addition to this, there would be the size and potential of a very long life span to consider. I have seen papers about the crazy long lifespan of the New Zealand long fin eels, but there is evidence they can live a crazy long time and IMO that also classifies them as not suitable for home aquaria. I know there are reports of one American eel that loved over 85 years in captivity. I agree fully that their status is the biggest part of what exempts them from being suitable for average home aquaria. That is an excellent point.

I watched a TV show about that :p

Yeah, it would be cool, but since people are basically stealing them from future generations it would be selfish to keep them. They need every Eel they can get out there to breed... So IMO (unless you're going to build a huge system where they can access several different zones, going from freshwater to saltwater) you shouldn't keep these as pets.

Also, I'm not sure what kind but some types of Eels can live for more than a hundred years...

Thats a big commitment, eh?

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I watched a TV show about that :p

Yeah, it would be cool, but since people are basically stealing them from future generations it would be selfish to keep them. They need every Eel they can get out there to breed... So IMO (unless you're going to build a huge system where they can access several different zones, going from freshwater to saltwater) you shouldn't keep these as pets.

Also, I'm not sure what kind but some types of Eels can live for more than a hundred years...

Thats a big commitment, eh?

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

It wouldn't even be a matter of several different zones. I talked to my advisor about it a while back (chair of the aquaculture department) and he said they haven't been able to get them to breed in captivity. They don't just go out to sea to spawn, it's believed they go into deep water and so you would have to simulate cold, high-pressure depths.

It wouldn't even be a matter of several different zones. I talked to my advisor about it a while back (chair of the aquaculture department) and he said they haven't been able to get them to breed in captivity. They don't just go out to sea to spawn, it's believed they go into deep water and so you would have to simulate cold, high-pressure depths.

Hmm, i guess you're the expert on these types of fish, Eels and Loaches. Ive not looked into these too deep but i did know beforehand that they were a saltwater breeding fish.

I suppose it could be possible to pressurize water and stuff but not in the home aquarium... But i think if you could get all the stuff right like temp and pressure and get a facility going you could make a lot of money and either replenish or reduce stress on the wild population.

Hmm, i guess you're the expert on these types of fish, Eels and Loaches. Ive not looked into these too deep but i did know beforehand that they were a saltwater breeding fish.

I suppose it could be possible to pressurize water and stuff but not in the home aquarium... But i think if you could get all the stuff right like temp and pressure and get a facility going you could make a lot of money and either replenish or reduce stress on the wild population.

Ha! Not exactly an expert in either. I have patches of deep knowledge in some random groups of fish. Loaches, from keeping so many in aquariums of course. I know a lot about the american eel because of discussions with my professor about their potential for aquaculture, and research we could do into it.

Apparently in japan primarily they're researching it, but as of right now the technology just to recreate their breeding conditions costs more than just buying the elvers at thousands of dollars per pound and then raising them to food size.

I always heard it's hard to keep eels in the tank cause they escape easily

Back
Top Bottom