Salt added to freshwater aquaria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The prescription drug lithium is a salt! There are so many salt compounds. The aquarium salt in question I'd NaCl.

It goes without saying that salt (sodium) is composed of many compounds, with a big dose of atomic physics tossed in. My interest is completely vested in whether diffused amount's of it are good for my fish. Sources like YouTube's Aquarium Co-OP says yes, for various reasons. My fellow hobbyists mostly say "NO", never. Courtesy of Google: this is what happens if we go lower than the required sodium in our bodies-

Nausea and vomiting.
Headache.
Confusion.
Loss of energy, drowsiness and fatigue.
Restlessness and irritability.
Muscle weakness, spasms or cramps.
Seizures.
Coma.

Ouch! Knowing this I try to make sure that my family (all f them) gets a bit from time to time. I started to wonder whether this was true for my fish. For now I'm going to introduce very small amounts, that I closely keep track of, and see if salt in a freshwater tank setting is as positive as I've heard.

As for me, I'm going to try some Indian/Asian food that's seasoned with black salt. It's supposed to be good for me! :brows:

I’ve seen no evidence to suggest that adding salt is beneficial. But that doesn’t necessarily mean it isn’t.

In your earlier posts you said you wanted to ‘help’ the fish. I always pick up on these passing comments because to me, that would suggest that you believe your fish are in need of helping. So if I ask you what is wrong with your fish and you say nothing then anyone who reads my posts will know that I will say ‘so why bother?’

I did tons and tons of research in this hobby when I got back in to it a while back and I’ve spoken to many people who approach the hobby from all different angles with their own biases.

And thats the thing. We are all slightly biased no matter how much we try not to be. It sounds to me like you already want to try adding salt because you believe it will do great things. Thats ok. I like people that test things (as long as it’s not with one of those API kits *shudders*)

But my point is and probably the biggest advice I can give to people in this hobby is that you must try to approach every question with an open mind. The benefits of adding salt to a tropical aquarium will most likely never be proven or even ascertained. So it will live in aquarium folklore for all of its existence. Same goes for water changes. We have our biases there too because we assume that waste means bad.

What we can prove about salts is how the fish regulate them. What happens when there is a sudden rise or fall in the salt concentration for example. To understand about adding salts you need to understand the osmoregulatory system. Research this topic first and then decide whether you want to control salts within the aquarium.

It is my opinion/belief/bias that the more things we try to control in aquaria, the more issues will arise and OMG have I had issues with this hobby usually when asking the same questions.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Another clarification here: sodium is not a compound, it is an element, Na. Sodium is not the same as salt- there are thousands of salts - as I mentioned in an earlier post.
As far as a lack of salt (sodium) in the human body, yes, there are consequences, but with our diet, at least in developed countries, there is no lack of salt. Our foods contain plenty of it. The bigger problem is too much salt in our foods. Too much sodium in the diet can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke. It can also cause calcium losses, some of which may be pulled from bone. Most Americans consume at least 1.5 teaspoons of salt per day, or about 3400 mg of sodium, which contains far more than our bodies need.

Another clarification here: sodium is not a compound, it is an element, Na. Sodium is not the same as salt- there are thousands of salts - as I mentioned in an earlier post.

As far as a lack of salt (sodium) in the human body, yes, there are consequences, but with our diet, at least in developed countries, there is no lack of salt. Our foods contain plenty of it. The bigger problem is too much salt in our foods. Too much sodium in the diet can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke. It can also cause calcium losses, some of which may be pulled from bone. Most Americans consume at least 1.5 teaspoons of salt per day, or about 3400 mg of sodium, which contains far more than our bodies need.
Flag on the play. Unnecessary use of science. Let's keep it on topic:p

Is salt with anti-caking agent 554 (Sodium aluminosilicate) ok for aquarium use?
Yes. But sodium aluminosilicate is also marketed under the name Zeolite. It helps remove ammonia from your water. It may not be good to use in an established, older fully cycled aquarium, causing the bb to lose its food source. A small amount in regular salt (NaCL) may not hurt, but I'm not sure. Any regular salt generally without additives is better tbh and imo

As for adding salt to a fresh water tank is a flat out NO.

;) Doesn't adding salt to a freshwater tank change the idea of the tank into a "brackish" water aquarium? Then this brackish tank is suitable for plants and animals that have evolved under those conditions, right?

adjective
(of water) slightly salty, as is the mixture of river water and seawater in estuaries. "a cup of brackish water"

Am I being too literal?

Yes. But sodium aluminosilicate is also marketed under the name Zeolite. It helps remove ammonia from your water. It may not be good to use in an established, older fully cycled aquarium, causing the bb to lose its food source. A small amount in regular salt (NaCL) may not hurt, but I'm not sure. Any regular salt generally without additives is better tbh and imo

Ok thanks. I normally would go to the city to get pure salt. I will just use this and keep an eye on it. I'm dosing at 0.5% so i will be using a fair bit. Might be some frequent water changes soon.

Back
Top Bottom