Does anyone own an eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shark21

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking about getting a Peacock eel for my community tank. Just wondering if anyone owns an eel that can give advice. I did my research and he will fit comfortably into my tank set up I have, I am just worried about feeding him. I hear they are very picky eaters? I don't mind putting in the time but I feel like my other fish will just eat his food before the eel has a chance to get comfortable enough to eat?

I had one for a long time. The best way to feed them is small live earth worms. Or frozen blood worms. I had more luck with mine eating the earth worms tho. You can hand feed them or use a straw or turkey baster to put food real close by so the other fish dont have the chance to steal its food.
Make sure you have a secure lid with out gaps! They will jump out of the tank!
Also make sure you keep the water conditions in check they dont tolerate nitrites, nitrates and amonia well at all.

Thanks for the advice Nimo. Ya I think I am gonna go for it and see what happens. I am gonna feed him at night too so that should help. The other fish eat late afternoon so they should not expect food coming in at night (especially worms). Hopefully my lid is secure enough there is a tiny gap at the filter returns but other than that it is a heavy glass lid that covers 99% of the tank. Should be interesting haha.

Good luck with it. They ae fun to watch. Mine had alot of personality. He jumped out of the tank 3-4 times. I watched it jump out a couple times. My dog barked to let me know it jumped out one time but tge last time I wasnt home and didnt get him in time

What size tank? Nimo seems to know what he/shes talking about, I certainly don't!! :D
Please put pics or video on here, I want to see how it turns out!

Well I was going to post a pic of the one I use to have but I keep getting the app has crashed and wont let me post it.
Mine was in a 29 gallon tank.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130317_125708.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130317_125708.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20130317_125735.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130317_125735.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20130317_125809.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130317_125809.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 58
  • ForumRunner_20130317_125837.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130317_125837.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 73
Nice Nimo! That one looks really cool to bad he is gone, I can't wait to get mine now. Hopefully Tuesday at the latest. I have a 75g Tank. I will def post pics and videos as soon as he is home.

I was going to try and get a peacock eel but I heard they are really picky and delicate so I decided to go with loaches, even though they don't look as cool. Let me know when you get it and tell me how it is! Good luck

Ya I heard the same. I guess there is only one way to find out? I will def. Keep you posted as soon as I get him and let you know how it goes!

Its been a while but I finally got my EEL! I have had him for a few months and he is doing Great!
ForumRunner_20131016_161948.jpg

The eel is good. He is always out and about swimming laps. Also in that tank I have :
1-adult Angel Fish
3-Bala Sharks
1-12" pleco
1-Midnight Catfish

Back
Top Bottom