Does Bio-spiira contain nitrite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerMcAllen

Aquarium Advice Addict
A week ago I started a 125 gallon tank with 12 zebra danios and a large package of bio-spira. These week I tested my water and came up with 2 ppm nitrite. That seems quite high considering the low fish load in such a large tank, especially considering I have only fed them three small meals.

Bio-spira is a live nitrifying bacteria used to cycle/start a freshwater or saltwater aquarium, and therefore you can add a full normal load of fish immediately!! It is not intended to be used as a general ammonia/nitrite remover, and (if used for such purposes)....it may take additional time for the bacteria to grow to sufficient levels to eliminate the actual ammonia/nitrite levels already in your particular aquarium.

I got that info from here:

http://fishstoretn.com/bio_spira.html

Cant find where it was posted but I've read where someone has posted that its best to put in a full load of fish immediately after adding bio-spira.

As far as I know, it doesn't contain anything except bacteria.

Bio-Spira is meant to be added with a full (or near full) bio-load: 12 danios in a 125 gallon tank is far from a full bio-load. My guess is there simply wasn't enough to support the bacteria and most of it died off.

Back
Top Bottom