Does my betta have fin rot??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazy4fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just received my betta from pet smart but I am thinking she has fin rot.

Attachments

• image-303641754.jpg
    image-303641754.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 100
  • image-265036832.jpg
    image-265036832.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 109
  • image-2236545278.jpg
    image-2236545278.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 101
My Betta had that too. I cured him easily by changing his diet to freeze dried blood worms and adding Top Fin Betta water conditioner to his water when I changed it which should be 50% once a week and wash it once every 3 weeks. Keep the gravel beacause it should have helpful bacteria just rinse it. And I know it sounds crazy but talk to your Betta fish it doesnt even need to be happy it could be you complaining about your problems but my Betta lived for 8 years

It might not be fin rot. Fins heal best with clean water. I use melafix to heal damaged fins. It works!

Looks like she does a touch. She should heal and grow her fins back nicely with plenty of clean water. Because they are kept in small cups the water quality deteriorates quite quickly. Dirty water is just asking for fin rot. If you do decide to use melafix make sure to only use 1/5 of the dosage. Many bettas can't handle a full dose.

I did put in one dose of Melafix, I keep my water very very clean so I'm hoping she will heal up nicely. Any more tips would be awesome thank you so much

Mumma.of.two said:
Looks like she does a touch. She should heal and grow her fins back nicely with plenty of clean water. Because they are kept in small cups the water quality deteriorates quite quickly. Dirty water is just asking for fin rot. If you do decide to use melafix make sure to only use 1/5 of the dosage. Many bettas can't handle a full dose.

Thanks for the dosage advice! I had never heard that before.

Thanks so much I also did not know not to put a full dose in, thank you so much

Personally I try to avoid Melafix entirely on my bettas... There's been a lot of research showing that even small doses of the medicine can damage their labyrinth organ. Bettafix is a better one to use on them, along with raising the water temp to at least 82 and adding a bit of salt.

Hard to tell from the pics if it's fin rot or if the betta's been munching on his fins a little. Sometimes bettas get bored while in the tiny cups and will chew on their own tails to relieve boredom. The raised temp, salt, and Bettafix will help with that too. Another possibility is that the betta has a touch of poorly bred crowntail in him, though I think that's less likely. Anything is possible with a Petsmart betta though, as they don't exactly have breeder stock.

Luananeko said:
Personally I try to avoid Melafix entirely on my bettas... There's been a lot of research showing that even small doses of the medicine can damage their labyrinth organ. Bettafix is a better one to use on them, along with raising the water temp to at least 82 and adding a bit of salt.

Hard to tell from the pics if it's fin rot or if the betta's been munching on his fins a little. Sometimes bettas get bored while in the tiny cups and will chew on their own tails to relieve boredom. The raised temp, salt, and Bettafix will help with that too. Another possibility is that the betta has a touch of poorly bred crowntail in him, though I think that's less likely. Anything is possible with a Petsmart betta though, as they don't exactly have breeder stock.

Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom