Does my Oscar have fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421339867.354951.jpg
My lutino tiger oscar has had this white outline for a very long time, and i have noticed that it has gotten bigger as the oscar gets bigger. When it first started I've tried to treat with melifix but saw no results, so i tried see what time would do. it doesn't seem like its eating away at the fins but it does look like its almost transparent on the white outline.

If this is not fin rot is it just the colouration of the lutino tiger oscar? Because i also thought he was unhealthy when its black colouration started to come in, then found out its not albino.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

View attachment 261143
My lutino tiger oscar has had this white outline for a very long time, and i have noticed that it has gotten bigger as the oscar gets bigger. When it first started I've tried to treat with melifix but saw no results, so i tried see what time would do. it doesn't seem like its eating away at the fins but it does look like its almost transparent on the white outline.

If this is not fin rot is it just the colouration of the lutino tiger oscar? Because i also thought he was unhealthy when its black colouration started to come in, then found out its not albino.

your oscar looks extremely unhealthy and stressed. can we get parameters, water change schedule, and tank size please?

your oscar looks extremely unhealthy and stressed. can we get parameters, water change schedule, and tank size please?

I don't know about that, the markings are so symmetrical it could just be natural coloration.
Derp- parameters, tank size and wc schedule will help, as always.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

View attachment 261143

It's a lutino, where as if it were an albino he/she would have white eyes. The fish looks perfectly healthy to me.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the coloration. I don't know what your basing that comment on?

Its a 65 gallon and the oscars only 4-5" and only with 2 green terrors witch are only 3" and 4". Theres also a bunch of small bristle nose plecos in the tank.
I do water changes once a week about 20-40% waters crystal clear and the oscar seems perfectly fine.
I don't remember the exact specs of my water but every time i test it everything reads fine but the hardness witch it a little on the hard side.

Its a 65 gallon and the oscars only 4-5" and only with 2 green terrors witch are only 3" and 4". Theres also a bunch of small bristle nose plecos in the tank.
I do water changes once a week about 20-40% waters crystal clear and the oscar seems perfectly fine.
I don't remember the exact specs of my water but every time i test it everything reads fine but the hardness witch it a little on the hard side.

You'll need to up the wc's big time, those are all.going to get pretty large and make the water nasty quick..

The BN Plecos are also pooping machines. I love Plecos and had to rehome a couple due to this. Water parameters always checked out fine but the amount if turds was just unreal.

A 65g isn't big enough for even the Oscar alone. 75g minimum for him, not sure about the others.

The BN Plecos are also pooping machines. I love Plecos and had to rehome a couple due to this. Water parameters always checked out fine but the amount if turds was just unreal.

Ya that would make a lot of scents, because i got maybe 3-4 adults and maybe 10-20 young BN plecos. I should definitely re home a few of them before they get any bigger :p

A 65g isn't big enough for even the Oscar alone. 75g minimum for him, not sure about the others.

Ya most say 70g minimum for an oscar and 50 for the GT's. Their all still very young so a 65 should be fine.

What makes you think he has fin rot or a bacterial infection?

The white outline on the edge of his fins, but im starting to think thats just how they grow with the lutino pigment. Saw someones pictures online of how his lutino oscar grew and his had the same white outline on the edge of the fins, witch eventually faded along with the dark colouration.

Ya most say 70g minimum for an oscar and 50 for the GT's. Their all still very young so a 65 should be fine.

Based on the current sizes you provided of your stock and water change schedule, things won't be fine for long. I'd be curious what precisely your parameters are right before a water change. Just sayin. Good luck to you.

For example: I have my 4 inch Oscar growing out solo in my 55g. I have to vaccum every other day and do weekly 50% water changes to keep my nitrates 10-20. I'm moving him to a 100g solo in 4-6 months.You've, got I don't know how many fish exactly, in a 65g with less maintenance. The Oscar looks great right now. Just hoping to encourage proper housing.

For example: I have my 4 inch Oscar growing out solo in my 55g. I have to vaccum every other day and do weekly 50% water changes to keep my nitrates 10-20. I'm moving him to a 100g solo in 4-6 months.You've, got I don't know how many fish exactly, in a 65g with less maintenance. The Oscar looks great right now. Just hoping to encourage proper housing.

Ya i was always thinking about getting a 120g down the road, but ill see how this goes for now. My nirates are at about 10 and tomorrows water change day. I usually gravel vac till the gravels clean witch is anywhere from 20-40% but some time can be 60%.
Ive also herd bigger water changes can be a bad thing, is that true?

You need to rehome all but one Oscar. Start doing it now as oscars grow so quick he will need the space ASAP. You need to do bigger and more frequent water changes to keep the water in better condition, even after rehoming everything else. What your seeing on the edges of the fins is normal for all oscars. It is new growth. Take all the advice given on your stocking though as the others have said, he needs that small tank to himself even at a small size.

You need to rehome all but one Oscar. Start doing it now as oscars grow so quick he will need the space ASAP. You need to do bigger and more frequent water changes to keep the water in better condition, even after rehoming everything else. What your seeing on the edges of the fins is normal for all oscars. It is new growth. Take all the advice given on your stocking though as the others have said, he needs that small tank to himself even at a small size.

Im pretty sure theirs nothing wrong with my water condition, i just tested it and everything was ideal. Tomorrow is my water change day so im sure everything's fine then... Oh and i got andinoacara rivulatus fry living off this tank water and their doing just fine. I also do plan on moving the plecos out, but i think rivulatus pair will be fine in there for now.

It may be fine now, but the setup is such that things will go south very quickly when they go, which isn't that far down the road. Just trying to help you succeed. Unfortunately for most fish, but the time the effects of living in horrible conditions is showing symptoms, it is too late and irreparable damage has been done.

What is the maximum adult size of the Regal Tang? In "The Marine Aquarium Problem Solver" by Nick Dakin, he states 4". In the LiveAquaria.com catalog they state 12", which is quite a difference.

Also would like to know if the Regal Tang can be kept in a mini reef successfully?

I purchased one Friday and it is beautiful, very active and eating well. :D
Was so sad about losing my Maroon Clown, just had to cheer myself up. :wink:

+1,2,3,4.. Derp. . This is excellent Advice;)

Back
Top Bottom