Does saltwater ruin carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I spilled about 4 gallons of clean saltwater on my carpet this morning. I sucked up most of it and am now drying it. Is my carpet ruined?

Nope just dry well you can use a carpet cleaner to suck /clean it out . Place several fans around the spill and a dehumidifier near by .... you will need to add more top off if you run a dehumidifire ... if you do not have one and can stand it turn the AC to the house on for 3/4 hours ......

The advice Sadielynn gave is good, but I'll add that if you have pad under that carpet you most likely aren't going to dry it from the top down. 4 gallons, when spilled, is a LOT of water! And if that pad is wet and stays wet, you're going to have a mildew/mold problem. It'll take a while to notice, but if you don't get that pad under the carpet dried totally, you're going to have a smelly mess in a few months.

When I've had water leaks (not aquarium related!), I've pulled the carpet up and got under to the pad and dried everything from the bottom up. Force air under the pads to dry everything out. It's a real pain, but I wouldn't take lightly 4 gallons of water soaked into who knows where.

Kurt some of the newer carpet cleaner/soaps have a mildew /mold resister to them... If pulling up the carpet is not an option placing something heavy over it with a towel or shamies will soak up most you can dry from the top down but it does take longer to do you will need to replace your towels with drie ones frequently ... I have had leaks and also a misaimed PH shoot about 2-3 gallons out ... I never had an issue , steam cleaning with fans to dry , knock on wood . You can use a rug dr or call some one to steam clean ... it will all come out including the pad ... That is another reason I suggested the AC/dehumidifier this evaporates the water out ...Rug drs can be rented at most supermarkets , lowes , and some if not all wal marts for around 15 bucks a day when you buy your cleaning solution (yes you need to buy it it is not included in the rentals ) look for mold/mildew killer ...you can even use bissel cleaners with the rug dr machines but the rug dr machines are considered pro cleaners that pick up more than the home steam cleaner usually does

Back
Top Bottom