dojo loaches safe for planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had some issues with fish in my 60 gallon planted tank recently.... mainly a few species that had me thinking I had some major nutrient deficiencies. I rehomed the rubberlip pleco and the my leaves stopped getting holes in them. Then I rehomed a couple of clown loaches and I stopped finding leaves floating in my tank that had been snapped off. Not eaten.. just snapped off for the fun of it I guess.

So I saw some golden dojo loaches and thought they are adorable. My son wants the "yellow snake fish" as I already have a good group of black kuhli loaches. I think I've bought at least 6 but who knows as you never see all of them.

Anyway, I read online the dojos can uproot some plants. Uprooting doesn't sound too bad as long as they arent tearing up plants.

So anyone with dojos and plants please speak up and let me know your experiences?

I just read one website that says dojos are coldwater fish? In that case Nevermind a moderator can delete this thread.

That is the case. Dojo like weather loaches, aka pond loaches are cold water. Best put with a gold fish. I've had a few loaches and they have never destroyed a plant. But they do sure like to uproot when they burrow under the substrate.

Just an fyi

I'm glad I did my research... my tank usually stays around 78 (my house is steady at 76 in the summer, 74 in the winter) so I would hate to shorten their lifespan. Petsmart had them with the tropical but the label did say 65-74 for temps I just didn't pay close attention.

Back
Top Bottom