Don't know what is wrong with the water, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nekarah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

This is the fifth week for my planted aquarium plus 5 neon tetras. I've monitoring the values to make sure it was not dangeryfor the fish. Ammonia has never been above 0.5 and it has been 0 for the last 3 weeks. Nitrites peaked at 1.0 and it finally started dropping a couples of days ago and it's currently sitting at 0.25. Now the weird thing is that nitrates were hovering around 20 ppm and today has dropped to 0.

What can cause this cloudy water look and nitrates to drop to 0?

The aquarium is looking pretty bad with this dirty water.

Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_3178.jpg
    IMG_3178.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 89
Make sure you are doing the trate test properly..Shake the living daylights out of the reagent bottles Especially #2 before using..
Trates don't usually go away on their own ,but plants can consume them.
I have read plants prefer trates over trites and ammonia as a food source so?
If the water is green it is algae and you are probably running lights too long for the need ATM.
If it is cloudy it is a bacterial imbalance often associated with cycling and overfeeding...

If you are using the API test kit, smack the crap out of the Nitrate Bottle #2. I smack mine against the table. You are breaking up the crystals that has formed on the sides of the bottle. Your tank's parameters will rollercoaster for another week or so until they level out. Your plants do need the Nitrates however. If you every start to fertilize, part of the PPS-Pro is adding Nitrates to the water. If you do not want nitrates however, floating plants do the best job of soaking them up on a consistent basis.

How to get crystal clear water very fast i'm talking from 3-6 hours and its clear is go to walmart and buy algae control its like 3 bucks, i had this problem for weeks in my 60 gallon, i read everything tried everything and this is what saved it, best 3 dollars iv'e ever spent. I had an algae bloom and cloudy/foggy water... fixed everything. I was very amazed with the results.

The water looks more white than green. The nitrites continue to drop and is almost zero today. Nitrates still at zero they were about 20 a few days ago. Ammonia is zero for more than 2 weeks.

I am clueless as per what is going on.

Just as a precaution I have lower the light to 7 hours and I will start feeding only every other day.

Any ideas are welcomed.

Could be algae or bacterial bloom. Get a UV sterilizer and enjoy crystal clear water always.

Are UV lights compatible with ribbed hosing? For example I have a Fluval 206 filter that has the ribbed hosing

Nothing is compatible with that hose. Need to replace it to run anything in like with compression fittings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom