Don't use nets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beepboop

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have conducted an experiment recently. I went to the store to get some fish. Some fish I had them catch with a net and some fish I had them scoop out the fish and some water using their little clear specimen containers.

What I theorized was that the stress off being caught in a net and the net touching the fish's slime coat would make them more stress prone.

Result: Every fish that was caught with a net spends half of it's time during the first week hiding (sometimes longer). Every fish caught by scooping them out with water (so that they aren't touched) acclimates almost instantly to the new tank, stays out in the open, is more active, and doesn't stress out when I turn on the light, if there is a noise or I bump into the stand.

From now on, I won't ever buy a fish unless they use the specimen container instead of the net.

Water chemistry was good in all cases, no ammonia, no nitrites, only 5ppm of nitrates. I use salt in my aquarium to reduce stress and I drip acclimate over several hours to make introduction into the tank as easy and stress free as possible, so as to make sure it is the net that causes the stress reaction and not something else.

I have tested this with 11 fish so far. Every one caught by net hides often, gets spooked easily, and is slightly more aggressive to the other fish. Then I have to turn off the light for an hour for it to calm down.

Every fish that I had caught by scooping them out in their water hasn't showed any signs of stress or aggression.

All fish were the same species. Each one looked different enough that I could distinguish them with ease, in case you're wondering. They were added in four small groups (to avoid ammonia spikes).

Has anyone else noticed this effect?

beepboop said:
I have conducted an experiment recently. I went to the store to get some fish. Some fish I had them catch with a net and some fish I had them scoop out the fish and some water using their little clear specimen containers.

What I theorized was that the stress off being caught in a net and the net touching the fish's slime coat would make them more stress prone.

Result: Every fish that was caught with a net spends half of it's time during the first week hiding (sometimes longer). Every fish caught by scooping them out with water (so that they aren't touched) acclimates almost instantly to the new tank, stays out in the open, is more active, and doesn't stress out when I turn on the light, if there is a noise or I bump into the stand.

From now on, I won't ever buy a fish unless they use the specimen container instead of the net.

Water chemistry was good in all cases, no ammonia, no nitrites, only 5ppm of nitrates. I use salt in my aquarium to reduce stress and I drip acclimate over several hours to make introduction into the tank as easy and stress free as possible, so as to make sure it is the net that causes the stress reaction and not something else.

I have tested this with 11 fish so far. Every one caught by net hides often, gets spooked easily, and is slightly more aggressive to the other fish. Then I have to turn off the light for an hour for it to calm down.

Every fish that I had caught by scooping them out in their water hasn't showed any signs of stress or aggression.

All fish were the same species. Each one looked different enough that I could distinguish them with ease, in case you're wondering. They were added in four small groups (to avoid ammonia spikes).

Has anyone else noticed this effect?

Good observation/posting and here's my real world example of how right you are.

I just got 7 Cardinal Tetras, 1 didn't make it home because the clerk didn't take proper care on the first attempt and the other 6 are hiding under the intank filter.

Next time I will insist on your method.

Thanks

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Nets can be safe if it is done right. Most never use two nets at a time. Use one large one to catch them and one smaller one to gently chase them into the larger one as it sits still in wait. Drastically reduces catching time and stress. This was the method I required of my employees at the fish shop and we had almost no complaints of sick fish (actually I can't think of any). Some fish simply can't be caught with containers alone.

Fishguy2727 said:
Nets can be safe if it is done right. Most never use two nets at a time. Use one large one to catch them and one smaller one to gently chase them into the larger one as it sits still in wait. Drastically reduces catching time and stress. This was the method I required of my employees at the fish shop and we had almost no complaints of sick fish (actually I can't think of any). Some fish simply can't be caught with containers alone.

Anything can be a tool in the right hands, in the wrong hands it's can be a weapon don't you think?

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Definitely. There are some LFS workers who should either be retrained or not allowed to catch fish, simple as that.

I just want to make it clear that just because someone uses nets doesn't mean they are doing it wrong. A few people at the shop I was running used only containers, but for me I could catch fish at least as well and as safely with two nets.

Back
Top Bottom