Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I yanked the optics out of that Mars Aqua fixture and it's much better now. It doubled the spread. Nothing else new going on....just letting the tank settle in before I order some fish and corals.

Thanks! A few randoms...still gotta finish setting up the ATO and filter sock holders, but you'll get an idea what's going on so far.....
I guess I should make a new thread...
img_3188627_0_3516b1235f4d6547401edd7df8eb3fb5.jpg

Nice build so far, but I do have one question;
How did my dog get to your house? :confused:

seriously, they could be siblings, here is Buddy helping me with the work van;

92584-albums13974-picture68614.jpg

on a more serious note, aren't you concerned with airborne contamination with the sumps and all being uncovered?
I have always wondered about that with so many tanks being uncovered.

Another tang I guess. I'm trying to find a small maculiceps tang, but haven't seen one lately. Probably a trio of anthias, a pair of clowns....I'm on the fence about a blue throat trigger. A friend has a pretty large naso tang in his 120 and even though they don't appeal to me, I may take it to give the extra swimming space.

Nice build so far, but I do have one question;
How did my dog get to your house? :confused:

seriously, they could be siblings, here is Buddy helping me with the work van;

92584-albums13974-picture68614.jpg

on a more serious note, aren't you concerned with airborne contamination with the sumps and all being uncovered?
I have always wondered about that with so many tanks being uncovered.
Ha! Maybe they are (siblings)!
No, I'm not concerned with airborne contamination, because for years I've taken my chances and nothing bad has happened. If I was going to do something like sand spackle or paint the ceiling, I'd cover them with a tarp temporarily, but that's all. The more surface area I can expose to air, the better, is the way I see it.

So, a few new happenings-
First, My HOOPTY Jebao rw-15 took a crap on me (just a couple months old). The power supply was all melted. I ordered a new power supply off of ebay. It was cheap, but still, what a PITA.
Secondly, I made a fish order.
My new inhabitants will be here tomorrow. They are:

1 Blue throat Trigger, male
1 Flame angel
1 Maculiceps Tang
1 Atlantic Blue Tang
1 Borbonius Anthias
A few assorted anemones, a few anemone crabs, an arrow crab, and an alleged "ultra" maxima clam.
I'll take pics ASAP. These are coming FEDEX, so I'm not sure when they will show up. Exciting, no? :brows:

Nice list Doug!! I'm really excited to see what everything looks like in that tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awesome list Doug. Had to look up the Anthias. Haven't ever seen one before. Very cool fish. Always been a fan of the Blue Throats too. Sorry about the equipment failure. Know how that goes and I agree. Total PITA.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Keep an eye on the arrow crab. I had to get rid of mine because the sucker literally increased in size by 1/3 whenever he molted. In about 5 weeks it molted 3 times and became big enough to easily eat anything else in my tank, and he tried.

92584-albums13974-picture68662.jpg

can you believe he used to hang out upside down inside that cave two molts ago. I was shocked when I saw how big he got overnight.:eek:

aren't you afraid those spindly legs with make nice snacks for the trigger, like breadsticks?

Can't wait to see the goods! Hopefully you get sone nice nems in the assortment! I love how much the name 'ultra' or 'super ultra ultra' is used in this hobby. I guess its a fancy way of saying 'not plain'? Hope ya get a nice clam and the list sounds good. Greg's right on the angel.

That angel might pester that clam to death. Watch him. Fine goodies coming!
Yeah, I know, but I had to try.....I need a red fish!
I've had a few of them throughout my time in the hobby, and all of them behaved well, so my fingers are crossed.

Keep an eye on the arrow crab. I had to get rid of mine because the sucker literally increased in size by 1/3 whenever he molted. In about 5 weeks it molted 3 times and became big enough to easily eat anything else in my tank, and he tried.

92584-albums13974-picture68662.jpg

can you believe he used to hang out upside down inside that cave two molts ago. I was shocked when I saw how big he got overnight.:eek:

aren't you afraid those spindly legs with make nice snacks for the trigger, like breadsticks?
I've never seen any bad behavior out of arrow crabs. I hope you haven't jinxed me! Worst case scenario, I have the shallow 50 gallon tubs in the back and he can have one of them to himself if he turns out nasty. As for the trigger eating him, It's always a possibility, but The fate of the crab is sealed at this point. If he ends up eating the crab, he'll probably munch on the peppermint shrimp and anemone crabs too... :ermm:

Ok...the order came, and everything made it's way into the tank. Pictures will come later, because right now there's lot of hiding going on. Initially, the 2 tangs I already had objected to the introduction of new friends and showed aggression. I just walked by and saw most of them out swimming, so this may subside.
2 things- first they forgot the arrow crab.
Secondly, the Maculiceps tang I do not think is a Maculiceps tang. While it has prominent markings on it's face, it's got a solid white tail. Anyone familiar with a fish like this?

Could it be a white-tail bristle tooth? No expert at all in tangs but I googled it and it had familiar marking like the maculiceps with a white tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That fish looks like a Kole with a white tail...here is the one I just got along with the Atlantic Blue-
img_3191980_0_64978b71d75eec588114f3eb194b1b67.jpg

I also got a fish for the gym tank...made a little cage for it to hold it until Sunday.....
img_3191980_1_8daf5dfea6b0c8581e61f7b1579353f1.jpg

img_3191980_2_9bd9d839227dd596ac2b5b093468d3eb.jpg

And a shot of my skimmers.....they seem to be doing a good job
img_3191980_3_edf2feb89c11bb9a1c33f9bc020d3477.jpg

interesting, never saw a tang quite like that before.
is there something up with it's lateral line or is it just the way it looks pic?

Back
Top Bottom