Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend once suggested to me siphoning the water out of the tank into Rubbermaid barrels with a 1" hose to get tank level to about 2" of water. Scoop offending fish off of the bottom and immediately pump water back in. Sort of like a huge water change. I've never tried it but he swears by it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That sounds good in a tank without a massive pile of rock in the center. If i was to drop a hose in the tank, or even get near it, the file darts into the rock. I'm going to keep working at it. I'd hate to have to use lethal means.

I think Greg is saying to use a fish trap. ....lol .... :-/

Last edited:
Exactly on the same lines of what I was thinking ,... They also make " minnow traps " for catching bait ( fishing ) that uses the same principle except it's either made of metal or plastic mesh ,... Either way , sooner or later he'll venture in there to munch on something and get trapped . Kind of a humane saltwater mouse trap

Keep the fish, send me the corals. Problem solved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In North Korea, dead aquarium livestock equals death sentence — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

I actually have that bottle trick in my tank as of now, trying to trap a bullseye shrimp. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
That's awesome. Is it just turtles he has a soft spot for or is it all marine life? I wonder if he came into my house, would he put 2 in my head for me letting my corals be eaten, or for me snuffing out one pesky file......

That's awesome. Is it just turtles he has a soft spot for or is it all marine life? I wonder if he came into my house, would he put 2 in my head for me letting my corals be eaten, or for me snuffing out one pesky file......

I wouldn't invite him over Doug... LOL. That is crazy though.

So, I have a question to ask of all of you aquaria lovers, but first let me paint a picture- i have folded a friends tank into mine. In that tank (you've seen the update) there is a filefish. I know these are most likely coral nippers, but I figured an occasional nip at the lps/sps won't be a big deal, because I have such large amounts/colonies already that I won't even miss it. What's really been happening is that the fish has relentlessly eaten all of the polyps off of my sps and almost killed large lps colonies.
This fish must go. I'm sure we agree on that.
Now, he's impossible to catch unless I dismantle the entire rock structure. This structure is about 250 pounds of rock, bottom covered with sand, and the top pieces are mostly covered with encrusted corals, some attached to more than one rock, making it impossible to move the rocks unless I break them apart.
Here's what I'm thinking- This fish is only doing what he does.....not being malicious or nasty like some humans are, but simply swimming and eating, not differentiating between coral and flake.
On the other side of the coin, I can get this fish out of the tank quickly and easily if I treat it like any other threat to the reef, like aptiasia or majano, or AEF, or whatever else that we feel are plagues and not worthy of a life in our tanks.
where do we draw the line? In the end, aren't we catering to our selfish needs and not really recreating the reef at home? We want a perfect (as we see it) ecosystem. God is what we want to be. Should i care more for the fish than the corals that I watched grow from frags?

I agree with everyone who said to try trapping it.

Not many people would waste their cat because it clawed up the brand new couch and enjoys shredding their furniture - although somebody probably would.

I guess you could argue that a fish is a lower life form than a cat and you'd get all sorts of opinions. Your point of value is a good one - coral vs fish. Whose life is more deserving/valuable?

We're all hypocrites because we kill nuisance algae, aiptasia and other pests. However, you CAN catch this fish. It's just a huge inconvenient pain in the butt to do so. A lot of things in this hobby are just that.

In your position I would probably be considering everything from night vision goggles to a weak electric pulse. However, the egg crate and a trap is probably more reasonable. If you do try to chase, I would try to exhaust it first before trying to seriously net it. If it goes for a cave, could you block it while it's outside first?

Or. Is there some sort of mesh you could lay over your rockwork first? Landscaping cloth maybe?

Or. Could you take a sheet of mesh/landscaping cloth, weight it down at the bottom and use it as a flexible curtain to maneuver around your tank to corner it? Have a buddy net it once you have it pinned.

Just thinking out loud...

Try to take advantage of their natural inclination to hide & sleep in coral.
if you could cover as many hiding spots as possible and then put in a branched coral skeleton big enough for him to tuck into, then maybe you could get him to lodge himself into it and then just remove the entire piece with him in it.
I know that once a trigger or file fish locks itself into a spot, they are not coming out until they want to, and they will often stay put even if removed from the water.
I have managed to catch a few fish in similar fashion over the years.

Doug,... So what's going on with the file fish ? .... Did you get'em or is he still grazing on the coral colonies ?

I'm so exhausted (and hopefully so is he) from chasing him around, he's now afraid to come out and eat. Still haven't been able to catch him though.

have you tried one of these yet?

img_3249716_0_c845068ca14de902dfc36992e36a7e5a.jpg

I don't think they make hooks that small, as this guy is barely 3".
Jokes aside, I don't condone traditional fishing anyway. I don't like that we try to get the fish to ingest a barbed hook and hope it gets caught in their flesh, because I believe they feel pain. I know there's conflicting information on this subject depending on which source you draw from, but it hasn't swayed me.
Before I shove a steel hook through his flesh, I'd laser his coral eating butt ;)

They make hooks small enough to catch minnows lol.

So, he's still in and I haven't witnessed him eating coral lately. I wonder if I "scared him straight"....lol

Put a jar of tarter sauce next to the tank where he can see it .... Maybe he'll get the idea

Back
Top Bottom