Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
only??

Had two abrupt power failures last night that took out a Iwaki pump in the fish room. Electrified water everywhere at 1am. Thank heavens I'm a pack rat, scavenged up everything I needed and by 3am all was well. There are days...

Crazy that that pump failed so the SW flowed thru the armature of the motor. Bad, bad design but I have had great luck with them in the past. MD30.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Was that you iwaki pump that has been running for the last 15 years non stop ? And was that the Japanese version or the American version? My old blue line ( apparently designed by mr iwaki ) has been running beautifully for the last couple of years .
Sounds like quite a dangerous mess you had to deal with and clean up ... Any casualties ?

Blue line are just rebranded products....they make nothing of their own. Probably the same pump.
That said...I just took a few pics.....
First, here's the fish room as of late....please excuse the mess-

The two 50 gallon refugiums
img_3241155_0_2c04cd42cc317e89b0c68a6f5dedf7f1.jpg

and the return to dt....this is what I drain and fill for water changes without needing to shut off pumps.
img_3241155_1_06c1eb1d7fd596c722aa0163bcbc1845.jpg

fts-
img_3241155_2_2682738c8fd72c8e3fcb556d60d2f223.jpg

img_3241155_3_e038f55e11d0a52a0299d22e91b95285.jpg

here's a valida frag that is positioned 30" below any fixture and not directly under one either.....growing quite nicely too and very colorful, despite my hoopty ebay fixtures...
img_3241155_4_ba152b2b9791edab35cb20cf7d928e1b.jpg

this is a tunicate that came in on the rock I got recently..sorry about the dirty glass-
img_3241155_5_9ece4c7d246672ed819f2e22e50de01f.jpg

img_3241155_6_c4aeb3b5e20265170e1df19087a5277a.jpg

img_3241155_7_b2c9ab668d17ebeaa0c75169cb972bb7.jpg

img_3241155_8_a1367cab9e0bc7f195d578339d0bd283.jpg

img_3241155_9_f32b60170d64e19e8e18acfe88bde616.jpg

The file fish is trimming off some of the polyps on this one.....
img_3241155_10_5461f1c5d60546d97364b16ef710ab56.jpg

This was an old colony that died off due to a nasty alk swing. It has since been covered with bubble algae, and then that's dying off, but the red planaria seem to like this spot for sunning themselves.....
img_3241155_11_456309e927d20c8dec2019d5d93c773e.jpg

Oh...free algae for whoever needs it-
img_3241155_12_aa794a0d6ee18b1b8f89175bbf355c62.jpg

img_3241155_13_549816200cc897068ff613f261b86753.jpg

Looking good !!! Send me all the algae you want !
... I'm am sooooo jealous of those that have a " fish room"

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I could use some of that algae if you don't mind, I don't know why but when I moved my chaeto from the 65 to the 150 it just started dying off and allowing heavier algae growth in the display, and I think I'm on board with ordering a laser soon

Your setup is awesome Doug. So much room and places to tie into the system. The acros look nice too, i love my valida. ...and that TANG!!!

Did your laser work? Mine is rather disappointing so far. And I am not going to try anything stronger as the danger factor is getting out of control.

No. Actually, the battery powered 5mw laser seems to aggravate the anemones more than the 20mw laser with the ac adapter, but even both together, focused on an anemone doesn't do the trick.

So, I have a question to ask of all of you aquaria lovers, but first let me paint a picture- i have folded a friends tank into mine. In that tank (you've seen the update) there is a filefish. I know these are most likely coral nippers, but I figured an occasional nip at the lps/sps won't be a big deal, because I have such large amounts/colonies already that I won't even miss it. What's really been happening is that the fish has relentlessly eaten all of the polyps off of my sps and almost killed large lps colonies.
This fish must go. I'm sure we agree on that.
Now, he's impossible to catch unless I dismantle the entire rock structure. This structure is about 250 pounds of rock, bottom covered with sand, and the top pieces are mostly covered with encrusted corals, some attached to more than one rock, making it impossible to move the rocks unless I break them apart.
Here's what I'm thinking- This fish is only doing what he does.....not being malicious or nasty like some humans are, but simply swimming and eating, not differentiating between coral and flake.
On the other side of the coin, I can get this fish out of the tank quickly and easily if I treat it like any other threat to the reef, like aptiasia or majano, or AEF, or whatever else that we feel are plagues and not worthy of a life in our tanks.
where do we draw the line? In the end, aren't we catering to our selfish needs and not really recreating the reef at home? We want a perfect (as we see it) ecosystem. God is what we want to be. Should i care more for the fish than the corals that I watched grow from frags?

^NICE^
I feel your pain.
We make these things happen ourselves.
I am fish first since not as good with the corals over 3-5 years(success IMO).
That being said the fish needs to go!
For all the time and effort you put into the corals the fish will burn it up in no time IMO.
The system can not support the fish without you!
Which is IMO how God would deal with it;you run out of food you starve,the fish in the tank does not have the opportunity to go to "next".
Therefore it will take its own life along with the corals.
Now we need to work out some trap baited with coral to get him out,as we all know also that tear down ain't happening!
Just mentioned on another thread for stocking that after many slips myself I still ask "how hard will it be to get him out!?"before adding my next ????
My wife ask me why I don't move the one fish from the 75 reef to the 120??
You know why!
Good luck with this Doug!

If I put this situation into my tank, the answer is simple. That fish is not going to be in the tank one way or another, dead or alive. Those coral colonies have been raised by you from a small whatever into massive and beautiful colonies. On a personal level they are priceless. If on the market, they have a very hefty price tag on them as a whole or even fragged out. A filefish is a drop in the bucket and a threat to the nature of your system.

I can't stand harming anything alive. That's just my weirdness. I would certainly rehome the file fish as he's not responsible for being as he was designed to be. But feeding your corals to him isn't productive either.

I would use some egg crate barriers and nets to slowly work him into a smaller part of the tank where you can catch him, or set up a trap.

My thought is that I feel I have the right to kill aptasia, or majanos or flatworms, and do so without remorse, but this fish......I'm afraid I might have sleepless nights if I do something drastic. Why do I feel this way and where is the line between pest and favor? I guess It's all about behavior....if you behave well you'll be ok in my world, but if you don't I'll treat you like a lousy brown anemone. Does that sound fair? I mean, given the fact that we go into this knowing these creatures are programmed for whatever they are, and generally, can't be "taught" something else.

There is a personal line. I don't mind killing Mosquitos by the thousands, or pest anemones, but a fish is different. I would just move him to your lagoon or into a fish only system. Problem solved, no nights without sleep.

But your right, being realistic and housing fish you are aware are right for your system reduces problems. The fish ain't gonna change.

My view ..... As you've stated the file fish is only doing what file fishes do .., it's not the file fishes fault that you put him into an environment that Causes him to act naturally and maybe nip at the corals . I really understand where you are coming from and it's a real difficult situation ... Somehow you gotta try and capture that little stinker and relocate him ... Not quite sure how you're going to do this but I'm sure you'll figure something out ... There's gotta be a way to get em outta there safe and sound

Sounds like you've been charged with building a better fish trap, filefish seem to like enclosed spaces so maybe a pic of PVC pipe with mesh over one end might work

My thought is that I feel I have the right to kill aptasia, or majanos or flatworms, and do so without remorse, but this fish......I'm afraid I might have sleepless nights if I do something drastic. Why do I feel this way and where is the line between pest and favor? I guess It's all about behavior....if you behave well you'll be ok in my world, but if you don't I'll treat you like a lousy brown anemone. Does that sound fair? I mean, given the fact that we go into this knowing these creatures are programmed for whatever they are, and generally, can't be "taught" something else.

My view ..... As you've stated the file fish is only doing what file fishes do .., it's not the file fishes fault that you put him into an environment that Causes him to act naturally and maybe nip at the corals . I really understand where you are coming from and it's a real difficult situation ... Somehow you gotta try and capture that little stinker and relocate him ... Not quite sure how you're going to do this but I'm sure you'll figure something out ... There's gotta be a way to get em outta there safe and sound

But along those lines reasoning, the same applies to the animals we consider "pests" and eliminate without a second thought, even though they are merely doing what they were designed to do.
The difference between the two types of animals actually has little to do with them, but rather us and our recognizing behaviors vaguely similar to ours, we assign "emotions" to them and in that way develop a bond of empathy for them. The more we anthropomorphize an animals behavior, the more empathy we can feel for them.
everything and everyone is a mirror. ;)
As you move higher up the evolutionary line you see this ability to elicit empathy from others develop higher and higher to the current state where we can read volumes about another person simply by body language alone.
Empathy is a very useful evolutionary tool for the survival of a species.

sorry, I tend to go off on these type of topics:blink:....LOL

but back on point, we do it to ourselves by trying to keep a "reef", you're right. in the wild he would take a bite here, take a bite there and move on and no one coral would be totally eaten, most likely.

I wouldn't kill him without trying to trap him first.
Greg's idea of slowly corralling him sounds good if it's feasible with the décor and other fish.

The idea of possibly having to tear down my tank has me really puzzling on how to finally decorate it before the corals are fully settled in.
As it is I'm gonna have to dismantle the rockwork to get my wrasse out, so I sympathize. Luckily my corals are all infants and easy to move around.

but if push comes to shove, I'm with others in going in favor of the corals as you have much more blood, sweat and tears invested in them than you do the orphaned filefish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom