Dragon betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terremarie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know about dragon bettas? Just purchased one from Petsmart - had to he was so darn beautiful. General info on dragons is what I'm looking for. And, if anyone knows something about their eyes. Mine looks like he has cataracts .... scaling maybe a genetic defect ???

Thank you in advance for any info.

Yeah, post a pic! The care is the same for all bettas. The different morphs are just fin shape and color.

Sorry I'm new to this .... hopefully the pic uploads here. It's not very clear around the eye area, but he's busy right now with babies and won't "pose". I'll get a better one and post that.

Thank you for the responses !!

Attachments

• django.jpg
    django.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 318
He's cool! Not sure about the eyes. Maybe an effect from being in the Betta cup too long. Was the cup water nasty when you got him?

Dragonscale bettas are prone to genetic defects to do with the very thick metallic scaling they have... things like lumpy scale tumors, or the scaling covering their eyes. In general it's not harmful, just ugly.

I can't tell from the picture really, if any of that is going on, though. It's blurry! :(

no it was actually pretty clean ... it was around Christmas so I figure it was a new shipment.

dJango 2.jpg

This one is a little better. He's busy with babies and a bit skittish. He seems to be able to see just fine. You're right ... when you look close he really is kind of ugly !

Right now he's in a 10 gal tank divided in the middle -- he'll go back to the 30 gal once the fry are ready to go it on their own.

He looks good! I've seen fancy dragon bettas for sale on Aquabid with that kind of eye... Personally I wouldn't worry about it, if he seems healthy.

terremarie said:
This one is a little better. He's busy with babies and a bit skittish. He seems to be able to see just fine. You're right ... when you look close he really is kind of ugly !

Right now he's in a 10 gal tank divided in the middle -- he'll go back to the 30 gal once the fry are ready to go it on their own.

He's not ugly! :) Very handsome!

He's really pretty. If it's not bothering him and he's still eating i wouldn't worry about it.

He looks good! I've seen fancy dragon bettas for sale on Aquabid with that kind of eye... Personally I wouldn't worry about it, if he seems healthy.
He's healthy as a horse ! And sees everything. Very active and now tending his fry. I've never seen a dragon before so wasn't sure if this would be a problem. Thank you for the info :cool:

He's healthy and very active - up and down, all over the tank. No problem with this guy eating :lol:

Dragonscale bettas are prone to genetic defects to do with the very thick metallic scaling they have... things like lumpy scale tumors, or the scaling covering their eyes. In general it's not harmful, just ugly.

I can't tell from the picture really, if any of that is going on, though. It's blurry! :(

Cute! Looks like he has cartoon eyelids

They do look like cartoon eyelids ... Love it!!

I have a betta with the same eye problem. He is completely blind though. Ive had him for about 10 months now. Gotta drop the pellets on him haha.

That's too funny!! I have a feeling I'll probably doing that too one day. I've only had this one about a month. They are really pretty fish even with the funky eyes :fish2:

He isn't the rarest; actually Walmart. But he is pretty neat looking.

ForumRunner_20130110_224558.jpg

Back
Top Bottom