Dragon Wrasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I love the way these fish move and look.

I am setting up a 55 gal FOWLR....I have a 2 inch v-tail grouper and a 2 inch fuzzy dwarf lion, they will be growing a little bigger in this tank too.

I want to get a 4 or 5 inch Dragon Wrasse and a small 3 inch panther grouper to add to the other two fish I already have that will be going into the tank.

I want to add the rock and cycle the tank, and then get the wrasse first, then the 3 inch panther, then add the lion and the v-tail later on.

I want to add the v-tail last because he is the meanest.

My question is....Can a dragon wrasse live with groupers and lions?.....does he have to be bigger than them to hold his own?....If he is to big will he pick on them?

How are the care requirements for them compared to groupers and lions.

Eventually I will be moving all the fish to a 150 gal.

ALSO...I was considering getting a Hog Snapper instead of the panther grouper, but would the hog fight with the dragon because they are both wrasses?

SeeDemTails said:
My question is....Can a dragon wrasse live with groupers and lions?.....does he have to be bigger than them to hold his own?....If he is to big will he pick on them?

How are the care requirements for them compared to groupers and lions.

Eventually I will be moving all the fish to a 150 gal.
These fish grow rather quickly so while it will be able to "hold it's own" it will still be far to cramped even if introduced at a small size. I would seriously wait until the tank upgrade.

Also keep in mind that these guys get quite ugly as they mature and very very mean.

Cheers
Steve

How mean are we talking?

I have kept Undulated and queen triggers, large V-tail groupers, and other large groupers.

I kept all these fish together in a 150 gal tank, just had to use the time out bucket from time to time.

Just wasnt sure about this guy because he is a wrasse and I tried to keep a luna wrasse before but they got bullied big time.

What about hog snapper? Would it be a better choice.

I know I would rather wait to get the fish, but I cant keep my two fish I have now in the tank they are in any longer. So the 55 is a must for now. The bigger tank will come as soon as my buddy break it down and gives it to me.

Lunar wrasses are pussycats compared to dragon wrasses when it comes to temperment. They can easily fend off fish two to three times it's size without hesitation. They like to be left alone and they are not afraid to let tank mates know it. If any of your fish tend to be "follow the leader" types, your in for a headache.

One other thing I forgot to mention was their constant annoying habit of spraying sand. They will lie sideways on the sand near a rock edge and undulate their bodies spraying sand behind them. It makes quite a mess.

SeeDemTails said:
What about hog snapper? Would it be a better choice.
Species name? The only thing I came up with was Lachnolaimus maximus?
I'm pretty sure you don't want a 3 ft fish in your tank 8O

Cheers
Steve

Dragon Wrasse are extremely cool, but can be extremely predatorial. I would be concerned about putting it with a smaller lion fish. I have heard of Dragon Wrasse killing Lionfish. I know they love to terrorize and eat Chromis. I wouldn't be worried about the dragon holding his own, I'd be worried about everyone else in the tank.

I second the dragon wrasse being very messy, if its hungry it will let you know, by making a mess of your tank. Just like many other wrasses they like to tunnel in the sand. I got rid of mine because i was sick of seeing the sand storm.

Back
Top Bottom